Have yall ever spent tons of money on vet bills from a animal you got from the pound?

Asked by hanksmom0207 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Pets

• Yes! WE had a wonderful dog that we got from a no-kill shelter. A few years later it got in a fight and ended up getting his front leg amputated. Once you adopt a dog, you take on that responsiblity, just like you would a child. : ) They make pet insurance, you know, if your dog has a chronic illness. My SIL has spent thousands of dollars on her dog because he has hip dysplasia, and she got him from a shelter too.

Answer by sapient at 12:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Yes. We spent over $600 to save our cat's life. That was before we had a child.

Answer by momoflilangel at 12:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Yes. An animal from the pound is just as precious as any other animal.

Answer by nell_brinkley at 1:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• We just got a 6 month old Doxie/Terrier from a "rescue" and it turned out to be a very expensive experience. So we paid $250 for her at the rescue. Brought her home and took her to our Vet the next day. Turns out she had flees, a upper respitory infection, roundworm and had to have her shots re-done because they weren't given to her a month apart like they need to be. Oh and she need her Rabies shot. WOW! The roundworms could infect my 14 month old son so I had to take him to the DR. to get some advice on preventative treatment. But honestly, she is one of the best dogs I have ever had. She listens so well, is amazing around my son, doesn't climb on the furniture, is kennel trained and house-broken, loves to go to the dog park and gets along famously with our old grouchy cat. Yeah its scary to invest that much money but how couldn't we? She is amazing and deserves a healthy happy life.

Answer by adeuslove07 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Doesnt matter where you get the animal...if you adopt it they are your responsibility. I have spent thousands to keep my pets healthy and safe. Pets are family too as far as I am concerned.

Answer by katydidit1965 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• We have a cat from the shelter who has a rehealed injury from before we got her. If we wanted to get it fixed it would cost us over $3000. I just don't have the money, and she is doing just fine without us fixing it.

Answer by BrierLisa at 6:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Hey Hanks Mom,

when u adopt an animal from the shelter or from anywhere, you need to be prepared that he or she will eventually get sick, hurt etc and you will have to do something about it. Now many things can be done by you and don't require a vet, but big stuff like operations and injury care has to be handled by a vet. Just because u got it from the shelter doesn't mean its bullit proof.

Take care Sylvi

Answer by MamaAndretti at 2:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Like ours with in the last several months we have gotten dogs from the shelter, We take them to the vet and get what they need to be healthy. two of our dogs got a bad infection we had to spend the money on the drugs. and one we had to spend wow $100.00+ to put it to sleep because her was very sick and nothing the vets or us can do to help only had her for four months. OR she would have suffered to bad.
    It is the same as to when or son was born, he was sick at birth and the last year in and out of docotors. and lots of money to spend on meds.
    We feel that it is the same way, the dogs and cats are our family.

Answer by WillMakeIt at 11:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I love my animals we do regular check ups and go to the groomers but I will not go into debt for an animal. Especially when they may only live another year. They wanted 1200 for our dog Brandy who was a pitbull and was already 12 and having mobility problems. We decided euthanasia was best. Now for my dog right now I would do as much with in my means and even borrow from my parents if needed but I still thank 1200 is to much.

Answer by ilovemybananer at 11:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Yes. I had a kitten break her leg while playinig chase with another cat. Because of the location of the break, they couldn't put a cast on it, they had to operate and put in a steel pin. I was in college at the time and the vet bills were nearly 2 months rent. What else could I do though? She was a perfectly healthy kitten except for a broken leg. It's not like she had a terminal illness.

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2008