Is there a way to see what comes up on your background check?

My DH wants to go back to school. But he isn't sure what to go back for because he has a criminal past and he doesn't want to go to school for something in a field that he can't get a job in because of something he did when he was young...

But how do we find out what comes up in his background check? We don't know if any of his offences were fellonies or not and he doesn't know what half the offical charges were.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• You should be able to check your state database through Social Services maybe? In CO you go the CBI=Colorado Bureau of Investigations.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You can usually search online in the counties he was arressted in. How does he not know what the charges are? Seems like something he would remember.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I would call your local police department and ask how to get a copy of your record. Then I would find out how that affects his job choices.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• ria7 - my dh doesn't remember what he did last week let alone what he did at 18... Most of the charges are from about 18 to 23... In that time he served 4 jail sentences. He don't know what they were all for now because he was a stupid kid and didn't care at the time...

He was thinking of becomming a councler but he's not sure. He's also considering the electronics field... Either way, we need to know what is on there exactly. Oh, and NONE of them were local charges! They weren't even all from this state!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• in mass in order to hold a job with the public or with kids you have to fill out a cori report...well i wanted to teach in pre school.so i wrote them and contested it.they said they would be able to tell me whaat i had done wrong.well my cori was denied.so i wrote them and they wrote me back saying they didnt know why it had been denied i hadnt done anything really wrong in my past.now i dont know what it stands for C.O.R.I.....but i bet you could call them and they could give you some info.i remember i had to go to a notary public with 3 ids to prove it was me.but i did and i got the info....good luck.after that i was so embarrassed i didnt go back but my cori was clear....
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Sabrina- Im only asking cause if i was brought to court it would be tramatic and rare and I would sure as hell remember what I was charged with or served time for. When I was with my ex my roommate and I got a background check subscription and we palyed with it looking up everyone we knew and their parents. He came up with a background and so did his dad and stepdad. His dad' was a sex offense. my ex played dumb to all these charges and I actually thought maybe he found out that day too when I looked them up. My ex had an assult charge and he told me the story of a bar fight. After we divorced 6yrs later his fam told me that was all a lie. he had beatup a girlfriend and dropped her off miles from home....No saying this would AT ALL happen with your SO jsut saying it was a bit of a red flag for me.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I got my background check from the police department.
    lynda0322

Answer by lynda0322 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• ria ~ I know what a few of them are... One was Recieving stolen property, one was Gun Posession... But we don't know what the ACTUAL charges are listed as... We know what he did, but the legal aspects of it are what we don't know. Because if you are caught with a gun it can be a felony, or if can be something less... He was only in jail for 90 days. We need to know what they are in the legal sence... We know what he did... Just not all the legal jargin...

Hell, I don't remember all my charges... And it's been less time for me. Just wasn't ever anything that really mattered to us. We were both trouble as kids... Now, as adults, it's causing him issues... Not me so much, but him.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2009