Formula & Breastmilk

What is your opinion on mixing formula and breastmilk? When breastfeeding exclusively, my son was nursing every half hour to every hour, never seeming satisfied. I changed my diet numerous times to no avail. Now I pump instead of nurse and just use the breastmilk mixed with formula and it works wonders! Just curious to see what other moms thought...

P.S. He's 8 weeks old now and we've been supplementing like this for 4 weeks now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son never had enough either! I did the same thing for him.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• good idea. nothing wrong with mixing it. i wish i would have thought about that with my DD!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I did that as well, we're now exclusively on formula (my milk dried up) but because we supplemented like you it was a MUCH easier transition than if we hadn't.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I look at it this way...it's better for him to have breastmilk than none at all, no matter what form it is. I also wanted to stop breastfeeding when he began to teeth (personal choice), but felt guilty...I'm producing this food for free, why not take advantage of it. This way, I'm not tied to the rocking chair every hour but he's still getting the benefits of breastmilk!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You gotta do what you gotta do. My son was losing weight because he wasn't getting enough, but once I started supplementing he didn't want bm anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I had to do the same thing until I just dried up. I didn't produce enough milk no matter how much I pumped and nursed.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The biggest two problems are that sometimes baby will reject the mix (not a problem for you) and that every bit of formula will diminish your supply through reduced demand.

Just so's you know...their job is to never seem satisfied. Everything was likely fine, especially if you were changing enough dipes. 6-8 per day. Infant attitude is not an indication of ANYTHING but infant personality. And infants tend to be like mothers-in-law...never happy no matter what you do.

Whoever said babies were to be enjoyed never had one.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I think it's fine to do. Just keep in mind it will be much harder to keep up with his demand and you will likely dry up sooner by doing it this way.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009