How can I get my 3 yr old to take a bath?

She went to go stay with her aunt in Oh for a couple of weeks. Before she left she liked to take a bath, but when she came back she wont get in the tub. I tryed when she came home all she did was yell and said "Let me out" over and over. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First ask her WHY she doesn't want a bath. Would you be comfortable bathing with her? If so, that may alleviate her anxiety. Also, make bathtime fun with cups, toys etc. Good luck!
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 2:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• See if she'll sit in the tub with a wash basin of water and wash that way, then rinse off with a basin of clean water and a wash cloth or cup poured over her. Or perhaps she would shower. If not in a regular shower, we have a hose shower attachment, there are also some that attach to faucets, and they make a flexible shower that we bathe my little granddaughter with - it doesn't pour down on her head like a fixed shower does. My granddaughter calls it taking a shower, and it is close. She can use it either seated in the tub or standing. If your daughter won't get in the tub at all, and won't even step into a shower, maybe you can let her stand outside the tub as you wash her down with a soapy cloth and water.

Answer by Bmat at 2:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Definitely investigate why she all of a sudden hates it so much. Stay calm, don't yell, soothe, let her pick her soap/shampoo/washcloth/etc, and just go with it. But find out why she suddenly doesn't like first of all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My daughter went through that. she 3 1/2 and for awhile I had to buy toys and new soap, anything to get her in the tub. My daughter likes bubbles, so I got bubbles and now she seems to enjoy them agian, but wow was that a hard time. She went from loving them to hating them within days.
    If you can get her new toys for the bath or new soap and let her pick them out, maybe that would give her a new interest in the bath.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2009