How many people can live in a house?

It is hard not to notice but my neighbor has a 1 family house with 3 families living in there.

Basement Family of 5
Second Floor a Couple
First Floor Family of 4

Total of 11

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If there is an HOA (homeowners Association) and the neighborhood has been zoned as single family homes-then yes that would be illegal. You can call local authorities. But who cares? Do they bother you? Park in your drive? I have a neighbor that due to these times they have two campers in their backyard to house their childrens families. To each their own and more porwer to them for being resourceful.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If the space/person ratio is not beyond city inhabitation laws (as with domestic animals) , and that the house itself is not in disarray, then everything should be ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Well, not so much in my town but in a neighboring town we've seen as many as 30 people in a single family dwelling. Don't know if each town/state had their own laws about how many can live in one house, if that's what you're looking for. But if they've got one family per level, it's not any different than an apartment building. If they're all happy & healthy and get along, it's really none of your business.
    Anonymous

• a lady my grandma works for has a basement that is done exactly like a regular upstairs. Bedrooms, bathrooms, living room, fully functioning kitchen, and she rents it out to people who are training to be teachers in the area. She is a retired teacher, so I guess it can work out nicely for some people
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Every place has its own laws. And sometime those laws a specific about basement dwelling espcially if you are in a flood plain. Call whichever government office issues building permits in your area. They will know what the limits are and where to report violations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• It just depends on the laws or HOA rules. I couldnt stand living with more than the 5 I live with now, but I married one of them and created the other 4...LOL, so I dont have much choice. I guess whatever floats ones boat. I am in no place to judge because I understand needing to save money.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Really depends on how many bedrooms there are.
    In most states is 2 people per room
    so if there are rooms downstairs middle floor and upstairs then they probably are fine
    Second what concern of it is yours ? it is not your house or your family.
    Mind your own business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I once knew of a purchased apartment (three rooms total, including kitchen) that housed two East Indian families. From what I heard, they were packed in like sardines, sleeping in the livingroom. This info came from the groundskeeper. Nothing was done to the two families. Apartment management and the neighbors tolerated it (as far as I know). This was in a big city. But since then, I've moved in a smaller town where a dweller was just about to be kicked out by splitting rent between too many people within the same house.

It has to get through the landlord before it reaches the city.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2009