Teen stealing alcohol?

My dh just celebrated his 32nd B-day and we had a party at our house. He got a lot of alcohol as gifts and we kept it locked in a cabinet in our bedroom closet. Fast foward to today and I see that 2 bottles are missing. My 15 year old sd is in her room and I ask her about it and she says nothing, then I find it under her bed half gone.
I confronted her about it and she finally admits it, and she tells me "fine ground me or whatever, just don't tell dad". Okay I know dh is going to freak out when he finds out so should I just not say anything to him? I know he has had talks with her before about drinking and how he doesn't approve until she is of age, but then again with it in the house I can see her temptation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm glad tyfry7496 mentioned it. I'd be less worried about the fact that she was drinking and more worried that she broke into your locked cabinet to steal the alcohol, and then tried to lie about it.

I would make her tell her dad it happened. Not like..wait for her to tell him, but to sit down together and talk about it. This way it's not you running and tattling on her, but you making her take responsibility for her actions.
    quorleeba

Answer by quorleeba at 10:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Oh hell no, don't keep it from him! He needs to deal with it/her and be aware of what she's doing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• hm thats a toughy if she has a past of it then id say something u knw it will only get worse
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Absolutely tell him. You say he'll freak out. Perhaps the things that are cause for freaking out are exactly those things it is most important to share.

Good luck.
    wildtamer

Answer by wildtamer at 4:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You need to tell him. Most teens experiment with friends, but drinking alone in her room and hiding it could be a warning of something more going on for her. It could also just have been where and when the opportunity was, but this needs to be addressed as a family, if you think DH will freak talk to him yourself first then with SD.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Definitely don't keep it from dh; you both will have to deal with this...she has no business in your personal possessions and as my Dad always said, "As long as you live under my roof you obey my rules".....
    sgrubb64

Answer by sgrubb64 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I would not only tell her dad, but she would be signed up for AODA counseling as soon as possible. She not only is drinking but stealing, both of which are illegal and if you don't get them under control, can cause huge problems.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• This is not something to keep from her dad. Lying and stealing are serious matters. This is not to say she is a bad kid. She used a very bad judgement call on this one. Even if her dad flips out, he needs to know. Of course the obvious about the alcohol is that if you don't want your child drinking your alcohol, don't have it in your home. Coming from a family that has had some big problems with alcohol, I prefer the "Just say no" motto. It has destroyed a dozen people in my family. Everyone has to make that choice for themselves. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 12:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think definitely tell him. He's your husband, and you two have to be a team raising your kids. Plus, what she stole belonged to him. I don't know, but sometimes, my husband can get through to the kids much better than I can. I can warn them not to do something, ground them, take priveleges away and all kinds of stuff and never get through, but all it takes sometimes is just one good talk with Daddy....and they do a complete 180. Sometimes, the best way to learn something in life is to face the consequences head on. Good luck.
    MinstrelMommy

Answer by MinstrelMommy at 1:44 AM on Aug. 21, 2009