Is my son the only one who acts like this?

Here are the issues I'm having with him on a daily basis. He'll be 3 in a few months.
1. He HATES getting his diaper changed. He will run from me and scream and kick the entire time I'm changing him.
2. He refuses to sit on the potty chair. He just says I can't over and over.
3. He won't eat anything other than cereal, chicken nuggets, peas and popsicles. If I don't give him any of that he doesn't eat all day.
4. He freaks out and screams when he wakes up from a nap. he'll ask to get out of bed and when I say ok he screams no! I want to lay down! So I say ok lay down and he screams no! I want to get up! This is really aggravating!
5. I have to fight him to get dressed and put shoes on to go somewhere.
6. Then when we get home from the store or whatever he screams and doesn't want to get out of the car. When we get into the house he'll go into the living room and scream bloody murder for no reason. Cont. below

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cont...
    He'll have a fit and then the next minute he's fine. Is he just struggling with his feelings or what?
    I've tried putting him in time out. Ignoring him when he has a fit. Hugging him and consoling him when he's mad. Explaining to him that it's okay to be mad. Threatening to spank him. Counting to 3. Everything I do gets the same reaction MORE screaming! I am at my wits end. Is there something wrong with him or is this just normal toddler behavior?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I've got 4 kids, and numerous neices & nephews, and used to babysit for a lot of other families...I have to say no, that's not normal. I'd be talking to the doctor and maybe asking about a psych eval.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son is almost 2.5 and many of the things you wrote are what I am also dealing with...while he can be the sweetest angel on earth he can also be the devil! He is SO MUCH more challenging than my daughter was at his age.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Sounds normal to me! He is just testing his bounderies. Potty training-I would wait, he's not ready. Eating-Let him go hungry. He will eat when he gets hungry enough, it was the only thing that worked and still works in my house. As far as the fits-I have to just walk away. When my DD is ready to talk to me like a little human, she comes to me. Spanking does not work for her! I am convinced that she will be the death of me. Take it one day at a time or even every ten minutes. Good luck!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• IT IS NORMAL!! NO PSYC EVAL NEEDED!! my son acted the same way.. he didnt scream all the time and do a lot of the things you are describing, but he has acted out some of the things you described. whenever he would scream at me and tell me no i would pop him in the mouth, it would surprise him and then i never had to pop him in the mouth again, all i would have to do is threaten it raise my hand and he would stop. as for the throwing the fits, i would just leave him on the floor and ignore him and then after a min or so would go by i would ask him if he was done. if he wasent i would let him continue. he is at the stage where he doesnt like to hold my hand in the store anymore and likes to throw himself on the floor in the middle of the store, i start to walk away and tell him bye, he gets up right away stops and follows me out and holds my hand. you just have to be consistant with them. GL
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• p.s the potty training he might be afraid of the potty.i would not force it,i worked in a daycare in the potty training room and i had a 4 year old in there who would scream and cry till he would puke cause he didnt want to sit on the potty.we worked at it slowly.he was afraid of the potty.at first we just started "feeding the potty" gave it cheerios and we would flush them.when he was comfortable with that,we would work toward sitting on the potty with a diaper on,then we would sit on the potty with out a diaper.and then with poop training,everytime he would poop his pants he would cry and get upset,i would tell him its ok everyone makes mistakes,we would go to the potty,i would have him take off his wet clothes but his underwear and i would help with that,we would put the poop in the potty and we would say that is where it belongs,let them flush it, clean the kiddo up and leave it at that.if you foce it they will be scared.
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I wish I could help but I am in the same boat. Nap time is the worst and to get mine to use the pot I have to leave her naked. I hate the screaming and if I don't give her what she wants we have a fit. I hope she grows out of it
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• omg you guys don't know how much better I feel knowing that someone else is going through this! I about freaked when I saw "get a psych evaluation!" I wanted to cry. Good to know that most of this behavior is normal. _OP_
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• That is some serious frustration for one so little. I've never seen such behavior in a toddler, either. Maybe not a psych eval, but I would definitely be bringing it up to the pediatrician.

How are his communication skills?
    How are his fine and gross motor skills?
    Is there anything that sets off the screaming...anything specific?
    Why does he hate getting dressed? Is it wearing anything or just certain clothes in particular?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• well, my son is 21 months and I am dealing with some of these things too...especially the crabby after naps except he's not AS verbal yet. but the car rides and the crying so much uhg
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2009