Has anyone ever had to battle...

Their two year old into their car seat? Our daughter turned two in July and for some reason she now hates car seats, she arches her back and kicks and screams! We have tried reasoning with her (LOL), we have tried bribing her and nothing is working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

lapcounter

Asked by lapcounter at 3:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, I have. I have had to hold the child down. Being that I am stronger than them, Ive had to basically force them in without hurting them. All of my kids have done that one time or another. My now 3 yr old at 2 was almost stronger than me. He gave me fits a few times, but I was determined to win the battle. After a few times of you saying...okay Love, Im sorry that you dont like this, but this is how its gonna be. Get in there and lets get buckled and lets go because we're not going anywhere until you do.....Then commence to putting her in and locking her down. She might cry, arch her back, scream, whatever, but just make her do it. After a few times of you being firm, the fits should subside. ITs really just a phase and it does pass. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Is the seat uncomfortable for her? Try a different seat (borrow from a friend, take a ride in someone else's vehicle, whatever) and see if she does the same thing no matter what. If she's fine in other seats, buy a new one. If she acts the same, she's just normal and doesn't want to be restrained!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Part of the lovely terrible twos! My daughter went through this, she's almost 3 and still on occasion does it. Unless there is a problem where she's in pain or something, just force her in and let her deal. By the time you're 10 minutes down the street she'll have found something else to occupy her attention.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We have tried that she is not throwing fits with the other two car seats we have, (one being her sister and the other in my husband's truck).
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• OMG YES! my son started this about a month ago - its a nightmare - I am sweating by the time I have him buckled in..I won't let him win it but wow! they are strong...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• went through this, but both of the seats were getting older. Went and purchased to graco Nautilaus Car seats, which they helped pick out, and haven't had a problem since.
    a.lake

Answer by a.lake at 5:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• my only guess would be that the seat is uncomfortable. When we went to get my daughter new front facing seat there was alot of carseats that were very hard and had close to no padding. And that can be rought for a lil one to deal with so maybe look for some extra padding for the seat. And car toys and the mirrors to go in the car to mybe distract her for throwin a fit
    mommiediap

Answer by mommiediap at 11:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• my son does that too and we tickel his arm pits until he throws him self back then I strap him in really quick ! throw them off there guard then move in !
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009