? for Christians...do you believe in medications for mental issues/disorders?

im curious if there are any Christians out there who do not believe in medication for mental issues/disorders. i have come across this attitude on this site, the idea that if you were a better Christian, prayed more etc that you wouldnt need the medication. im curious, is this a denomination thing? or a personal belief? i really believe that medications can be necessary, i am on 2 rx's myself for mental disorders. just like a diabetic who needs insulin to live, i feel some people need medication to help them with their mental issues.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• its more a legalistic, denominational thing. I am not against meds but I prefer the supernatural. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'm a Christian,believe in God, and also if you need meds,you go to the doctor for them. So what if its for a mental issue, if you need it to live normal-then you go on meds. there is nothing to say you can't go on medication,if you were sick ,you would go to the hospital right? that has nothing to do with you being a Christian.
    Somma

Answer by Somma at 3:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am a Christian (non-denominational) and I do believe that for many mental disorders medication is absolutely necessary. There can be chemical imbalances in your brain, which makes it a physical illness as much as a mental one. And if someone needs medications to helm them with that, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which in turn led to depression before it was diagnosed. I was unable to pull myself out of it. I got a prescription for an SSRI medication as well as went to therapy appointments, and had Klonopin for anxiety. I took the SSRI for about 4 months, the anxiety meds for almost a year, and then was able to discontinue them after learning coping techniques in therapy. 2 years later, medicine free and happy. But if the medicines weren't there for me, who knows how I would be now.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Medications never worked for very long for me. Sometimes there are there are deeper underlying issues for depression and anxiety that are best treated with cognitive therapies. I personally prefer a healthy diet,exercise,sunshine and spiritual enrichment to chemical treatments.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Yes at times it is important to be on medication, God works through them to allow you to be healed. I went through Chemo, over 7 years ago, and completely cancer free.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 3:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Quote- I'm a Christian,believe in God, and also if you need meds,you go to the doctor for them. So what if its for a mental issue, if you need it to live normal-then you go on meds. there is nothing to say you can't go on medication,if you were sick ,you would go to the hospital right? that has nothing to do with you being a Christian.

I agree
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 4:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• There was a flood. A man in his yard was offered a ride by a neighbor who was evacuating. "No thank you. God will provide for me." Later, the roads were underwater, and he was stuck. A person in a boat came by, and offered the man a ride to safety. "No, God will provide." The man was forced to climb onto his roof as the waters rose. A helicopter came offering rescue. The man shouted, from waist-deep water. "God will provide." Soon after, the man drowned.

Saint peter welcomed the devout man, who was angry at being allowed to die. He demanded to see God. "I believed in you, and you didn't provide for me." God answered. "What do you mean. I provided a truck, a boat and even a helicopter."

I am a Christian. I know that mental illness exits in this world. God has provided doctors, pharmacists, drug companies and knowledge of how we can help ourselves. There's good and bad in medicine, as in all things. Be well.
    wildtamer

Answer by wildtamer at 4:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am a Christian, and I think meds. are perfectly fine...God gave Doctors/Scientists/Whomever the wisdom and knowledge to make these medications; and He gave us the brains to take them if needed.

I too take meds. for anxiety/depression .
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I absolutely do! Yes, you all know I am a very committed Christian,and love my Lord and Savior above all else,and trust and believe in Him,and what He can and does do for us.There is NOTHING God cannot do,if we believe and trust in Him to do it. He's proven that to me, over and over. I also do believe in meds for mental illness,and here's why: my wonderful, sweet 25 year old son is Bi-Polar and Manic Depressive. Before his diagnosis, he suffered for many years,and us along with him,not knowing what was wrong. It was only after a manic episode,and me,as his next of kin,having to committ him that he was diagnosed,and put on meds. Those meds have been a miracle in their own right. They help keep his disorders under control, he is better,and can think straighter. I believe they are what God wants for him right now. We trust that someday he won't need the meds,but in the meantime, he does.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Yes, we are not just spiritual beings but physical and mental. I have depression and for a while I struggled with whether it was a spiritual, physical or mental issue. Then I came to the point that I relized you can't separate the parts of me. My physical affects, my mental/emotional, and those two affect my spiritual, and vice versa. When I am physically well, my mind is less stressed and the depression affects me less, when I am in close harmony with God my spirit lifts my emotions. When my emotions are up, I am better able to appreciate God and His goodness. We cannot separate the parts of our nature any more than we can separate the members of the trinity.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2009