Children around 23months apart

I am pregnant with #2 and when the baby is born my 1st daughter will be 23 months. I was wondering, for those of you with kids around the same age differences, how the older one reacted to the new baby?

angela5954

Asked by angela5954 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well I have a 3yr old SS who really didnt get to go through the whole preggo situation like you LO has. But so far he's been pretty good. Gotta watch normal jealousy things (doesnt want to share, kinda picks on him when not looking) But to be fair the almost 9 month old picks back. He climbs all over SS and pulls his hair, likes to take his toys lol. But when he was first around him, at 2 month old, he did awesome, its the moving that started changin things haha.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have two 22 months apart. My oldest wanted absolutely nothing to do with seeing me in the hospital, wanted nothing to do with the baby, but yet didn't regress in any of his already accomplished skills. He did warm up eventually, I think in part because I let him "help"...he would bring toys, bring a diaper, bring the wipes, etc. Little things mean a lot to one that young.

Now I had another 11 months later (I don't suggest that, by the way) and the oldest was AWESOME with the baby!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Mine are 25 months apart and my first was actually very good with his little sister. They are now 2 and 4 years old and fight and argue, but also spend a lot of time playing with each other. I made sure he was included in everything I could during the pregnancy and made him very aware that there was going to be a new baby and took him around other babies. He regressed slightly in potty training after the baby was born, but other then that was fine. He helped out a lot by getting diapers and blankets etc. He also started "nursing" his puppy dog whenever I nursed his sister. A friend gave me the suggestion of having the baby give him a present the first time he saw her at the hospital and letting him pick out something special to give the baby too. I made it a point to show him how older brothers help out their younger siblings whenever I saw it happening at the park or around his cousins. cont.....
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• He really looked up to his cousin "D" who was 5 and had a 3 year old brother at the time and I asked "D" to talk to him about being a big brother. Not sure what their conversation was like, but he seemed to be content with what "D" told him. I noticed he studied "D" a lot when we were around them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• my dd was born march 15 07, and ds was born feb 28 09. so they are 23 mts and soem days part. dd loves her brother. she helps me out alot with diapers and dressing him. if am in the bathroon and he cries, shell calm, him down, sometimes she feeds him. once in a while she does get jelous but is onlywhen she is sick or super tired(cranky). she didnt mett the baby for a whole week cuz she was in fl when i ahd him. but the day she came home she fell in love. she says thats her baby. lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:04 AM on Aug. 21, 2009