How do I get my 3 year old to stay in time out?

Brandy1015

Asked by Brandy1015 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• she should only b in time out for 3 mins bc shes 3. get a timer and tell her when it goes off she can get up. When she gets up set it back to 3 mins and tell her ur goin to sit there longer if she keeps gettin up if she gets up 2 times stop telling her and just put her back until she gets it. if u restart the timer for a total of 20 mins o well she will eventually learn
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I agree 110% with anony 4:01
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 4:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I do exactly as Anon suggested and it works for us.
    My son finally learned after awhile of me doing it that if he will just stand in the corner like I tell him the first time he can get back out sooner than if he moves around or pitches a fit. I also reset the timer if he is screaming or just throwing a fit.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Put him back, put him back, put him back, put him back, put him back......

Actually, it works better if you put them in time out until they are ready to acknowledge what they did wrong, they are ready to do what they were told to do or whatever is necessary to remedy the situation.

The guy who came up with the "minute per year" rule only made it up because parents wanted a time limit. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Time outs work better if there are consequences to the time out instead of the immediate reward of being let out at the end of a few minutes (per our psychologist) They can get out of time out when they are ready to go put the toys away, when they are ready to demonstrate the RIGHT way to close a door (not slamming), to show how one correctly gets off a couch (not jumping).....

Believe me, it works MUCH better!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You cannot sit a child in timeout until they 'realize what they did was wrong' or admit to what they did all the time (hence the reason of the time limit), if that was the case my son along with most other kids would sit there until they withered away. It may work for you, but that doesn't make it the right way to do it. My son would much rather sit in timeout than pick his toys up , that would turn ugly if everyone did it that way. He does much better when he sits there for 4 minutes and then I make him get up and do what I told him to do in the first place.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2009