Weening from bottle to cup

Can someone tell me how to get my DD to stop drinking from a bottle and drink milk from a sippy cup? She will drink water from a cup but not milk. PLEASE HELP!!!

usmcwife05

Asked by usmcwife05 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son wouldn't drink milk after we stopped the bottle either. it took him a couple months before he'd like it at all. I warmed it up a couple times.. but its not totally necessary either to have milk daily,. but you can mix it in smoothies, my son loves that -or cereal?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have been told to ween them in. Like take their morning nap bottle away and give them a cup....then after a bit do that for the afternoon nap. My son turned 1 last week and only gets bottles at 2 naps and bed. He does well at mealtimes and through the day drinking milk and water with a splash of juice in a sippy cup. Have you tried a different cup, maybe she doesn't like the "nipple" part.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• She drinks water from a cup so stop giving her a bottle. Put milk in it and ONLY milk until she drinks from it. But get rid of the bottles. She knows how to drink from a cup, there is absolutely NO reason she should have a bottle now.

There is no need to "wean". There is no need for a bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I had that same problem. My son would drink anything from a cup except milk. Everyone was telling me just take the bottle away and he'll eventually come around... I can not handle my son crying for a bottle it made me feel so bad! But anyway, try using a Nuby! They have silicone spouts like a bottle's nipple but they are cups. My son took to them with no problem. Good Luck!
    Dylanmom731

Answer by Dylanmom731 at 6:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i just took it away. plain and simple the night before his first birthday was the last one he got. also as dylanmom721 says my friend gave her son the Nuby. it is a great TRANSITION cup but its not a good sippy cup. they can pull the nipply out and spill it EVERYWHERE. try and get a sippy with a soft nipple not one with a plastic spout. that way they feel soft in the mouth for drinks right before bed time. good luck to you mommy.

ps. dylanmom i promise i wasnt bashing you.
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 21, 2009