breastfeeding and vegan and raw food diets

hi,
i am looking for some real life experience and advice. i am breastfeeding and wondering if anyone who does a vegan or raw food diet (yes i know they are different) did so while breastfeeding . I am considering switching to a more healthful lifestyle but unsure about it. btw my ds is 4 months and ebf.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• My mom was vegan while breastfeeding my little brother - she said that she never felt better or healthier than when she was a vegan (but DID find it hard to stick to, so she is no longer one) - and she successfully nursed my little bro until he was almost 3 - so yeah, it's fine, theres no reason not to if that's when you want to do.

The only thing is to do some research into how to get all the nutrition you need while being a vegan. Good luck.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am a raw low fat vegan and breastfeeding a 2 year old.

I weaned myself up to 100% from when my son was a few months old.

It depends what you want to follow in regards to diet as their are many raw food diets and many vegan diets.

I follow Doug Graham's 80/10/10 diet which is really simple: fruits and greens.

If you want to ask questions about it please feel free to pm me. I would probably say its much better to gradually build up. Include more and more raw and less and less cooked.

BUT if we are just talking vegan here. I would just cut out dairy and meat as soon as. If you feel this will be hard start with cutting out meat first. Then cut out dairy. Dairy will be harder because most things seems to have dairy in.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009