Should there be reprecussions?

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Former US homeland security chief Tom Ridge charges in a new book that top aides to then-president George W. Bush pressured him to raise the "terror alert" level to sway the November 2004 US election.

Then defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld and attorney general John Ashcroft pushed him to elevate the color-coded threat level, but Ridge refused, according to a summary from his publisher, Thomas Dunne Books.

"After that episode, I knew I had to follow through with my plans to leave the federal government for the private sector," Ridge is quoting as writing in "The Test of Our Times: America Under Siege ... And How We Can Be Safe Again."

Some of Bush's critics had repeatedly questioned whether the administration was using warnings of a possible attack to blunt the political damage from the unpopular Iraq war by shifting the debate to the broader "war on terrorism," which had wide popular appeal

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090820/pl_afp/usattackspoliticsridge

and do you believe him?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Of course I believe him ... I watch TV, I realize the crazy distortions the media injects into every controversy it can possibly scare up ... and that in the past decade this has reached proportions that can only be described as corrupt and actively propagandizing their audience.

So, given that kind of playing field, it would be insane if they had NOT tried to manipulate public awareness of terror threats.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Repercussions? For TRYING to mitigate damage from the relentless distortions of the media and of political enemies?
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• watch TV, I realize the crazy distortions the media injects into every controversy it can possibly scare up

Its wasn't the MEDIA that was distorting or perverting anything, it was the last administration to keep the presidency

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• /Repercussions? For TRYING to mitigate damage from the relentless distortions of the media and ..of political enemies?

For using propaganda to get votes! To scare America and make them think we were on the verge of being ATTACKED after 9/11...Your OK with THAT

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You know what im not OK with, sweet? DNC Voter fraud shuttling people around in buses in NH to get them to vote multiple times, paying them for a day of work and one meal. THATS what i'm not okay with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

says an ANON with no intentions of reporting a broken law that they supposedly know about....But your OK with propaganda and lies and FEAR TACTICS to win an election?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Did you see the source? Huffington Post. WHAT A JOKE!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am not ok with the fear tactics that were used, but nothing will ever be done about it.
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 4:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• What kind of repercussions could there possibly be, though? I don't think it's against any law to bring pressure to bear on someone. Ridge wasn't fired. And we cannot undo the Bush administration.

Yes, it's reprehensible to try to sway politics this way...but then again, politics in general are reprehensible.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2009