Anyone have a bilingual child?

I would like to teach my daughter French, a language I speak, so that she can communicate with her dad's family. I have tried to expose her (though not to the point where she doesn't speak English, we know homes where another language is spoken and the kids struggle with English). She has shown resistance, saying, "I don't want to speak French." I don't believe after 8 it's too late to learn as some say. Truth be told, it wouldn't even bother me if her preschool or the public elementary schools wanted to teach her Spanish, too, as long as they didn't move away from English. Should I wait until she shows some willingness? Or reintroduce it little by little? How did you teach your child(ren) the second language, and when did you start?

mimismom436

Asked by mimismom436 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• my daughter is two and speaks english mainly, but im teaching her spanish as well, to talk to some of our family. she counts in english and spanish and can say a few words. she can tell them how old she is lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i mean she can say a few words in spanish. she speaks very well and soooo much in english! cant wait for them to talk but cant wait for them to stop! lol...shes at it all day!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We are raising my daughter bilingual. Her father and I speak to her in both English and Spanish. She is one, so we are already starting. I taught myself spanish just by reading online when I was in my twenties. It is definitely possible to learn after the age of 8.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If her dad is French, even though you speak French as well, he should speak to her in French and you in English, both exclusively. That is the key. That way she won't "lose" English skills and she'll still learn French equally as well.

My kids speak French and English.
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 5:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• It's harder after puberty, but not impossible. She won't loose her English skills at this age. Most of our native language is set by 6. I am however concerned that you want to push this on her when she has expressed no interest and is opposed to it. You can expose her to both languages as others have suggested but she won't learn unless she wants too.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• This is what I intend to do with my son.

I wouldn't worry too much if she doesn't want to speak it out. What I wouldn't do is push her. If she wants to learn it she will but I would let her do so in her own time./
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009