curiosity salted the snail- or lynched the athiest

on what planet did you learn that religious fanatics would in any way be open to others opinions/views/choices/beliefs that are not their own?

though i specifically question the nonreligious population, i know that the inevitable will happen... that said, i wish to ask why "WE" the slightly enlightened ones, even bother?

does it strike any one else as humorous that the relig questions are almost ALWAYS posted anon? as though there is a reason to be shameful of instigating an argument that will end in virtual riot? what shame is there in sharing your beliefs, or your opinions. if they are earnest, there should be absolutely no room for shame, doubt, concern... will your God not protect you from stalkers if you ask him? okay, so i believe i have made my point now.... would just like to add this- I am terrified of the power of stupid people in large groups...

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 4:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, BUT I WILL NOT LET ANYONE INTIMIDATE ME INTO NOT POSTING WHAT I BELEIVE WHEN I WANT TO.

Answer by older at 4:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• that was my point exactly, than you older, so observant... it is not the prospect of a relig battle being waged here, but rather the shameful way that it is gone about. personally, i have no reason to hide from my beliefs, though it would seem that others do- which is why they can not put on their big girl pants and simply say what it is they want/need to, without hiding. thats all :)
    has nothing to do with intimidation, just different people with different views, locking horns in debate... wish we could all do it like adults.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I honestly think that those who are so quick to put down or condemn "unbelievers" do it out of fear. It's the pack mentality; the idea that we all have to be the SAME, lest the desenter hold some truth.
    But the thing some people don't get is...their truth is their truth. My truth is my truth. Mine doesn't cancel out theirs and vice versa. My beliefs are not threatened by the multitude of Christians out there. As much as they would like to see my beliefs squashed, you cannot dissipate a truth within anothers heart.
    It is a battle without an end and I simply don't understand it to begin with. Some believe in a God, others do not. My truth still speaks to me in my own language as it always has. And I think that frustrates many "believers".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• There is no shame in expressing your personal beliefs. IMO if you are ashamed to let people know what you believe in, or what you don't believe in, then you should re-evaluate said beliefs.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 4:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I rarely ask or answer questions anonymously. If I do, it's because I'm embarrassed for the sake of being embarrassed, not because I'm afraid to show myself. Anyone who frequents this section knows that I have rather strong views on religion and the lack thereof.

Thing is, people BERATE me for asking religious questions. I've asked honest questions about Christianity (such as What are Christian Scientists?) and people have said "OMG WHY DO U ASK SO MANY RELIGIOUS QS LOOLLLLL."

You can't win either way.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I think I love you. I hope that's not too stalker-y.

I also completely agree with sammamax2.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• roachiesmom
    I think I love you. I hope that's not too stalker-y.

I also completely agree with sammamax2.
    ------

Here comes the atheist love fest. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Did my answer get removed? Wow, so much for being able to express personal beliefs.

It is my belief that this post is merely one to instigate drama. I feel that way due to the nature of which it was presented. And I happen to be an atheist!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I think sahmamax2 said it perfectly....I completely agree.

AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• "It is a battle without an end and I simply don't understand it to begin with."

I'll happily fight in it for the rest of my life =D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009