Vitamin A and D supplement?

I read that I should ask my DD's pediatrician about a Vitamin D supplement because she is EBF. He wrote a prescription for Vitamin A and D.. is that normal? Is there any way to tell if she is deficient in these vitmains? I don't take her out in direct sunlight as much as I probably should because i'm worried she'll get sunburned (I worry alot, I know). I don't like the idea of giving her something she doesn't NEED.. but it's just a vitamin, right? Not like i'm pumping her with meds..?

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 4:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I believe that for Vitamind D to effectively absorb, it must be accompanied by Vitamin A. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I EBF and did not give the supplement, just let baby sit in the sun (by a window) for 5-10 minutes a day and that will be good enough.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I just read something on this the other day. It's apparently very common in all kids, not just EBF.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Vitamin D is important, but vitamin a toxicity is on the rise. Probably because of overprescription. You can get pure vitamin d drops, and it's one drop on your nipple, and they get it while nursing. Its made by Carlson.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• when I was EBF my pedi recommended it too i guess it doesnt pass at as a high a concentration through breastmilk but its very important to my knowledge you cant od on vitamin d or a its iron and beta carotene i think that you need to be careful about
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2009