Shaving my 6 year olds uni brow?

My daughter has thick eyebrows because she is hispanic. No one makes fun of her or anything. I don't teach her that she has to change herself to be beautiful. I don't follow trends or fads or make her do that. I was wondering if it would be wrong to shave her unibrow to lighten up her face. It being there just makes her face look darker. I don't want to send her the wrong message though. Would it be inappropriate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• no don't shave it! It will only get worse and stubbly, never take a razor to a kid's face. I say use nair or something for her, you won't send her the wrong message, have her watch you do yours also, its part of being a girl
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 5:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• OMG DO NOT USE NAIR ON YOUR CHILDS FACE! Especially around her eyes!

If it is that big of a deal, I would take her to a professional to have it waxed. Make a day of it, have her get her toes painted too....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 7:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I DEF second the motion to wax it. I got the bright idea to use an "eyebrow shaver" and my eyebrows cam back twice as thick and still are to this day. I feel like i have to pluck all the way down to my crease sometimes.
    waxing it wont send her any kind of message except "wow dont i look prettier"
    My God you should see what pageant moms put their kids through!
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I would put it in terms of being a 'big girl'
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I hate the thought that I'm going to have to deal with all the girly stuff! Argh! Maybe talk to her about it and see how she feels. I know this might be a little extreme, but what about laser hair removal? I don't know how painful it is, but waxing is pretty painful, I could only imagine it on a young girl. Just a thought. I don't know that it would hurt her self image... if you make it seem kinda like personal upkeep, then it's not so bad. My mom never took us for pedicures, I was like 20 I think before I ever got my eyebrows waxed. I enjoy those things so much now! I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I had mom time. Make it a girls' day... I agree with that. But, I definitely wouldn't shave it! (sorry so long... it's late!)
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I don't think she'll be a candidate for laser removal and it's way expensive.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 11:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• what about getting it threaded?? definetly not as painfull as waxing, its cheaper, faster, and lasts longer!! and yaa i was also gonna suggest making a day outta it..get a pedicure, manicure, go for tea or something..something special, so that you dont make her feel insecure...thats what i would do if my daughter had that..kids already go thru enuff at school with teasing, last thing ya need is for a child to get made fun of for that too.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My daugher is hispanic and she is very light complected and so the dark hairs show up alot on her face. She even gets hair on the tip of her nose, poor thing and she is 6. Don't feel bad, a good self esteem is important. I actually do use Nair for the face on her and it works great! I sit her on top of our double sink in the evening before bedtime. I put it on her nose, lips, and unibrow and it's so thick that it doesn't run. We sit there for 5 minutes or so together, or I have her lay down and watch tv and then wipe it off with a damp towel and WaLah! No Hair!

Marylou
    Working From Home and Lovin It
    www.homeisgreat.com
    loyamom

Answer by loyamom at 1:20 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• First of all, Don't ever put nair or anything similar on a child especially their face!!

Secondly, why even bother with it if it isn't bothering her and she doesn't get teased about it there really is no reason to be messing with it.

Third, Shaving does not cause hair to grow back thicker.. it causes it to grow back in different directions that cause it to appear thicker but hair is as thick as it's going to be shaving isn't going to change the thickness.

As for waxing, children have sensitive skin you need to be extremely careful if/when using any sort of wax on the face.

Laser hair removal is not only expensive, it's fairly painful and isn't even permanent (basically a waste of money if you ask me!) most places wouldn't even do hair removal on a child.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2009