Breast Pump Decision...Medela or Lansinoh

Thanks to all who gave advice to this SAHM on what kind of breast pump to get. I've narrowed it down to 2 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these I can't decide which would be better. Also I've heard very large breasted women often have trouble pumping both sides at the same time. I grew to an E during my pregnancy so this is key info for me!

spbeta

Asked by spbeta at 5:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, let me throw you a curve ball. As a SAHM, pumping is purely optional for you. I like the Avent Isis for the OCCASIONAL bottle.

If you choose to go to the trouble of full time exclusive pumping, then the Medela, no question.

The Lansinoh is also good but the Medela really is a workhorse if you need to do a LOT of pumping.

I know you were playing baseball and I just changed the game to cricket...but I don't like seeing moms make extra work for themselves and pumping is work.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Since you will be at home and not having to pump that much (I'm assuming) I'd say go with whatever is cheaper. I bought a Medela because I was going back to work. It worked pretty well with my size DD's, though I usually spilled milk everywhere when I took the shields off (it was hard for me to do both sides at once, but I don't know if it was due to size). I never bothered to do it, but you can buy different size shields - I know they carry some for the Medela at the Target I shop at. If you are only wanting a pump to help with your supply in the beginning you might check into renting a hospital grade for a few months - you'd get the best available without having to pay too much that way (I wish I had rented!).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I tried two different ones when I was pregnant, the Medela was by far the best and easiest to use.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't need it long, my milk went away after a week.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• medela all teh way I had teh cadillac of breast pumps made by medela and it was fabulous pricey but worth every penny of $250 I wasnt able to nurse so I pumped non stop for the first three weeks it was a god send
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I use a medela and it works great. I actually borrowed it from a friend who had a baby 1 1/2 years ago and used to it pump at work for a year, now I'm using - although I only use it a couple of times a week so I can leave my husband with a bottle if I want to go out for more than a few mins - and it's held up great!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have had both those pumps, and used both for about six months.

I didn't notice a difference in comfort or the amount pumped. The Medela was much nicer because it is easily portable and has a letdown feature.

But I high recommend either pump, and if you're looking to save a buck, go with the Lansinoh.

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 6:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2009