My daughter's 18 month shots are coming up...

im really nervous about this bc i've heard of stories about kids becoming autistic after there 18 month shot....

Any suggestions?? maybe spread them out...? or possibly a website that will inform me what exactly the shots are that they are about to give her....

thanks!

stephany21

Asked by stephany21 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the shots do not cause it..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• There are some GREAT non-vaxing and delayed vaxing groups on cafemom. I joined them when I was doing research. They document everything and have excellent websites and information! I would check those out. We delay our kids and do one shot at a time after they are 2 years old. While vaccines don't cause autism I do believe they contribute to it in some kids.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• It's the 12 month shots that supposedly cause them. While I don't think shots cause the autism, I think more research needs to be done. But if your child hasn't reacted by now, I think his chance is pretty slim of reacting at all.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• ug
    check out the cdc website
    also.....the one that people tend to worry about is the mmr (which is given any time after 1, depending on the dr office sometimes 12 mo sometimes 15 mo sometimes 18 mo)
    after MUCH research ect is has been proven with out a shadow of a doubt that it does not have a link to autism. there for it is no longer being made in seperate entities any longer.
    i suggest get teh shots at once(better 1 day of pwies than 2 or 3) and reach the cdc info and try to relax, i know its hard whenits your baby, but the doc really do have your baby's best interest at heart!
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Get them and be done with it. If she was autistic, she would be showing signs of it already and vaccinations do NOT cause autism!! That was OLD news and it's incorrect! Of course the media doesn't recant a story as strong as they put out the misinformation. That would be a service to the public, wouldn't it.

You can refuse the shots, spread them out or just get them and be done with it all at once. Your choice.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• As stated above vaccines DO NOT cause autism! The researchers who came out with that info years ago retracted that research sometime last year. It's certainly much safer than your child getting one of the diseases that the vaccinces prevent.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i believe that you do what your as the parent of the child wants to do. its your choice. some believe due to the NUMBER of shots given so young is causing sensory disorders. i havent seen any research on that but i also havent looked for it. i put off the MMR at one year due to the fact my fiance is awaiting a liver transplant and his immune system is severely compromised right now and my actually doctor said until after the transplant and after recovery we arent doing anymore shots. He for sure WONT do the MMR based on the fact that it is a live virus and my fiance could or could not contract it from my son. NOT a risk im willing to take.
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 1:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• For me, Autism wasn't a risk factor. Not that I don't think it's important, but I just don't see it as a death sentence.

What turned me off to vaxing was the all the Aluminum in the vaccines. The FDA says that 20-25mcg of aluminum a day is safe for babies. When a baby is born they sometimes get their first Hep B shot at birth. A SINGLE DOSE of Hep B has 650mcg of aluminum!!!

I highly recommend that you join a delayed vax group, or anti-vax group for informational purposes before you get anymore shots. You have expressed concern, and they can help you find all the information you need, from reputable sources. It's important to have done all your research before you continue...no matter what you decide to do. GL mama!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Need to correct myself here...Hep B has 250mcg of aluminum, not 650. Sorry for the typo!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You feel unsure....skip it. I stopped my twins vaccinations at 6 months. I did a lot of research and was mortified at some of the findings. Does it cause autism, well last month the courts for the first time, ruled in favor of parents with an autistic child caused by shots. The vaccination schedule was 10 shots in 1981 they added 26 more shots to that schedule by 1990. Get Dr. Green's vaccination book. do your homework, there's mo rush
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009