How did you hide the electronic cords from your baby?

My 7.5 month old has started crawling. Yippee! Thing is, she just loves scooting over to the TV, Wii, and DVD cords and trying to bite through them. I've redirected her every time, of course, but I don't know how to keep them away from her. Are there any babyproofing techniques or products I could use?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At that age I just put the cords up and back as much as possible and piled pillows infront of the tv stand. Once the baby got trickier my husband had to secure a lot of the cords to the tv stand, computer desk, wall, etc. and cover them. Electronics stores carry all kinds of gadgets for securing cords to walls or furniture.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i always try to make sure anything electrical is on something like a dresser or desk so I can hide the cords behind it and out of reach. i've seen a tip in parent magazine, to use toilet paper or paper towel rolls to roll up the cords in. if I have something w/ a long wire and it cant hide behind something I use the garbage bag ties to make it shorter. you're baby will eventually understand NO. to avoid overusing NO i say it when my son is doing something dangerous such as the temptation to touch anything electrical like wires.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• we hide cords behind like entertainment centers and try to keep everything up you can also get those great big expandable baby gates and put it in front of the tv
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• my son always crawls after the plug to our standing floor lamp, the cord to the laptop, the cell phone charger etc and i don't know how to keep them from him either, just try to keep him away, put stuff in front of it etc. he also likes to crawl into the bathroom and get the plunger lol eww! i keep the bathroom doors closed now
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son does the same! "NO WIRES!" is what we say (he laughs at me... that's a whole other subject). There are plastic covers, fabric covers which are more decorative and we've used the pillows to cover them as well. Try shortening them with twist ties, but make sure your baby can't get the twist tie loose!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2009