Is this normal for a toddler?

About 3 weeks ago my husband and I finally did what I didn't want to do and we made our 13 month old cry it out. She had still been waking up 5-7+ times a night in our room (well, technically she kicked my husband out to the living room) and my body couldn't take it anymore (baby #2 is on the way and I'm exhausted). She's done relatively well, but still cries when she wakes up during the night. Usually only for 13-30 seconds...but when will she just start...sleeping through??? Or, since it's normal for a person to wake up periodically, when will it be such a brief waking that she doesn't even think she needs to cry? I hate not being able to respond to her when she does, but it just makes it harder for her to go back to sleep if I do go in...help?

SweetpeaAK

Asked by SweetpeaAK at 5:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does she sleep in her own crib? If not,GET HER IN ONE. And just let her cry it out. You did good on that. After just like a week she should be fine. unless she is teething or something else is going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Mine took about a month.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We actually did all three at once- moved her into her own crib, own room, and night-weaned her...I thought it'd be terrible, but I wasn't being consistent enough to draw it out over a period of time. And, like I said, she did a LOT better than I thought she would...she even had one night where I didn't here from her for like 10 hours ( I think she may have cried once in there for like a second)...but here we are 3 weeks into this and she's still crying at night...I feel so bad for her :(
    SweetpeaAK

Answer by SweetpeaAK at 5:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You breastfed her, right? If someone has to go in, have your hubby. Don't go in because you have her milk!! My 2nd and 3rd have adjusted much better with daddy going in at night to pat their back and calm them down. Within a week they were sleeping through, with occasional crying. Once they were completely weaned, icould go in to comfort them since they didn't have a desire to nurse then. I am right there with you! Sometimes you have to get sleep. I have been pregnant with 2, 3, and now #4 and still breastfeeding at night. Each time hubby has been a hUGE help with breaking that!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• well, i started doing that with my son at 8 months old.. it was less hard for me since he had colic previously for 5 months so I was used to the constant crying, it took a couple weeks and it comes and goes, now he only wakes when something is bothering him.. now getting him to bed is a diff. story
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i started when my son turned 12 months... he cried for a week . now he is 13 months old and he is sleeping through the night.
    dormilona

Answer by dormilona at 11:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have recently started this because I am expecting baby number 2 and i need my rest and space. My daughter who is 2 was really good for like 3 weeks now she is acting out. I just give her a bath, out on her favorite movies kiss and love her up and then say good night and mommy loves you. I then close the door and go back and check on her in an hour. But before we did this we would let her sleep in our bed and then i would move her but she always came back in, however if daddy moved her she would sleep through the whole night. Her Dr said to give her a snack before bed time so she doesnt wake up hungry. She still wakes up crying but I think that she is having a bad dream or something

good luck and be strong
    kennedysmum

Answer by kennedysmum at 12:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2009