How do you deal with a 2 year olds anger when it is directed at a person?

We have hit the terrible 2's! 99.8 percent of the time my little girl is an angel. But! If she is frustrated, or tired or just over the edge she will resort to pulling hair or bitting. I am told this is a phase but I find so much anger from such a little person to be unsettling! Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son turns 2 today and it seems like he hit the "terrible twos" stage about a week ago. If he gets frustrated he yells "Don't!" and hits. if you dodge his hits he will run after you while crying/screaming swinging that hand. I feel bad most of the time b/c he just SOO angry! I don't know what to do half the time!!! My oldest went through a similar thing (he's 5 now) but with biting. It seems that when you are about to lose your mind and throw your hands up in surrender... there better :) And out of that HORRIABLE stage. I sear... its happened that way for me every time. GL for you and me both mama!

beka03

Answer by beka03 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Even though it is a normal phase, you don't just let it go. You need to remove her from that child. I show my child that it's okay to be angry and stomp the floor, or hit a chair. At this age, it's hard when they don't have words. You can later redirect that (as we did). But for now, making sure they don't hurt people / animals is a priority.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I totally understand... my 18mo old has severe anger issues... esp. when he's tired. For absolutely NO reason at all, he'll starts screaming "No!" and running after whomever trying to smack them. He also will go running into his brothers room shaking his finger and screaming "Alex". I try to not let him see me laugh... its actually funny... because when he tries to smack someone, I grab his arm and look him in the eye and tell him "no sir, we don't hit" and so he starts smacking himself in the face. That's how I know its bedtime...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2009