Whiney one year old doesnt let me do ANYTHING!

I have a one year old that I have stayed home with birth. he got off to a very rough start needed several surgeries etc. He is very healthy now but I fear he is rather spoiled. He wont play with his toys, and he cries if i dont hold him but when I do hold him he tries to wiggle down. he whines ALL the time. It is driving me nuts, I cant get anything done AND I am supposed to start a new job as a nanny in a couple days to two other children. he gets to come with me but I am worried if this whiney dependant behavior continues my job will suffer. How do I get him to be a little more independant and less whiney?

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 5:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• uh... well my son was like that without surgeries - he just had colic forEVER.... arg.. It mgiht actually help to have him around other kids... My son is still whiney at 21 months and he's around kids at daycare 3 days a week but once he started daycare, he actually learned to play by himself more- it was almost instant. I had to stop picking him up upon every request though - just started holding his hand and asking him to show mommy what he wants... itsa tough age either way !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• okay so its not just me.... thanks for the reassurance we are talking about what it means to be a big boy and when he gets whiney I ask him if he needs a nap and then he whines harder and shakes his head no its actually kind of funny
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Whining is annoying, that's for sure. We started telling our two and a half year old son we don't hear him when he whines and that he needs to use his "big boy voice".
    He's so funny. Now when he starts to get whiney but really wants something he will come up to us and in a VERY deep voice, say..."Big boy cookie, please" or whatever it is he wants. LOL

Anyway, as for wanting to be picked up all the time, maybe maxsmom is right and being around the other kids will be distraction for him...could be he's just bored.

Also, he might be uncomfortable...maybe growing pains or teeth aching. On days he's really bad give him some infant's Tylenol if nothing else will work.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 6:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son went through a period of clinginess around 1. Know what I did? I held him when he wanted to be held and gave him the attention he needed. It passed.

He is a very independent little boy as well - just when he doesn't feel well or he has teeth issues then he wants me to cuddle him. I don't mind. I don't make a big deal about it I just address my child's needs.

The more resistant you are to it the worse it gets and thats not good for you or your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• my son is 8 months and he's the same way. he alwys wants me to hold hiim but when i hold him he squirms right out of my lap. it's very annoying and i don't get a lot done. but what i have started doing with him is just let him play by himself in small doses. like i will make sure he is fed, clean diapered, not tired, and then i put him with his toys and walk away and see how long it lasts. sometimes he will sit for a while and play, sometimes he will crawl after me and whine. another thing 've done is have him in the room next to me where he can see me so he doesn't whine as much, for example if i'm cleaning the bathroom or folding laundry, i let him crawl on the bedroom floor next to me. i know a 1 yr old is probably different from an 8 month old but u just gotta slowly a little at a time give him some independence
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• thanks for all your input ladies!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My DD is the WORST! she cries at my feet ALL the time to be picked up. I swear there are times that I just simply have to pick her up and put her in her bed because I HAVE to get something done. We do have our cuddle time and I try talking to her while I do stuff and there are times where she is fine to play on her own but for the most part she wants to be right by me. she is 20 months.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2009