Is prepackaged lunch meat bad for you? What about meat from the deli in the grocery store?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It's always high in salt. If you insist on eating it, look for fat free and low sodium - that won't ever be bologna or salami. You also have to be very aware of age. Chicken and turkey, even from the deli dept, go bad in just a few days once they're opened.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If you're pregnant the recommendation is to avoid lunch meats with nitrates.

Other than that, I think it's okay in moderation.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 6:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We get them every once in a while but my God, the salt in them.
    I try and make like tuna, and chicken salad, and do that... I can control the salt. I'd say if you eat to much of it, it could cause a problem esp with high amounts of sodium.
    Catrin2009

Answer by Catrin2009 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• They are ok in moderation. Lunchmeats tend to have a lot of sodium and fat in them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2009