Possible problem with bacterial speck/spot on my tomatoes...

First time gardener here...my garden is growing well and I'm getting fruit all over the place. But recently I seen a problem in my tomatoes. Although most are still green some of my big tomatoes have started getting small black spots all over them. It hasn't really affected their growth but it's got me concerned.

I've been searching the internet to find what it might be...and "bacterial speck/spot" comes up quite a bit.

Now I don't use fertilizers or pesticides on my garden , I'm an organic gardener.

Do you know of any way I can help my tomatoes ripen without the use of harmful pesticides?

Also the other question I have...although our tomatoes have black spots on them can they still be eaten if the spot is removed? Or will I just have to throw it out?

Thanks so much for all your help ladies *S*

truetigress

Asked by truetigress at 6:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• try some calcium spray and a calcium additive to your soil, or some fungicide. it may be a mildewy type of problem which a bleach or fungicide spray can kill or you may have tomato end rot and that is only cured by calcium.
    don't eat those tomatoes. take them off of the vine and throw them away, do not compost or leave lying around.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:11 AM on Aug. 21, 2009