parents just with one child vs. parents with multi children.....

what do you think is better to have? who do you think is more spolied? does you child get lonely? or not enough attention? is you single child unsocial with other kids or when kids come over they dont know how to share?
just want different opinions......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I really think it depends on the parent. I have 3 boys who have trouble sharing their toys sometimes but for the most part get along all right. My husband and I make sure to spend one on one time with each one of them so I don't think we have an attetiont problem. My sister who only has one is having a lot of trouble with her son. He does not listen to anybody and she buys him whatever he wants. But also at the same time she doesn't spend a lot of quality time with him either. I also have a friend who has only one child and she's great with other kids and listens really well. I just think it really depends on the parent's on how children act not weither or not they have siblings.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My only child, my daughter, is seventeen years old. I tried many times to have another, but with no success. My daughter has grown up to be a very beautiful lady. And no, she is not spoiled. She has a "sisterhood" of friends whos mothers that I have been close to while I worked. She's asked me many times why didn't I have any other children. I just tell her that life is just crazy. I just couldn't find a way to break out of working. The more I worked, the more responsibility I had to take on. Even though my life feels a little unfulfilled, my daughter has had the best of both worlds, a single childhood and a "sisterhood" of friends.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 6:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My DD is an only. She does have a social anxiety disorder. Though it is hereditary. Most likely got it from me, and I am NOT an only. She does get lonely but I make an effort to put her in programs like dance class, or other team activities. She is not spoiled and is well mannered with everyone. Its just strangers she is standoffish toward. And honestly thats not really a bad thing. At least I have no fear that she will take off with some stranger.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son is an only. He has no problem getting along with other kids and has friends at school and at home. He gets bored like any kid, but not lonely. He knows perfectly well how to share, and goes out of his way to look out for kids smaller than he is. When his cousin was a baby he'd bring her every toy in the house to try and and cheer her up when she was cranky, even the ones that were 5 times her size.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son is my only child but you'd never guess it. He isn't "spoiled" and he plays and interacts well with others. He does get bored but hell even kids who have siblings get bored or tired of being around their sibling all the time. I just don't have to worry about the bickering that goes on:)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have one child. William is 9 and very social. He is always looking to have playdates because he does get lonely especially now that he is older he wants to be kept busy. He is in scouts and is starting trumpet and this is the first year he can participate in after-school clubs so I know he is looking forward to that. He is not spoiled very well mannered. He does get attitudes with me but not with other adults. He has asked for a brother but it isn't going to happen so we just provide many opportunties for him.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have an only child and he is not lonely, spoiled or attention getting. He has a lot of friends that he plays with, is in organized sports, and is more comfortable around kids younger than himself or adults. Just part of being the oldest grandchild and being raised in a house with 3 adults as playmates. Some think my son is spoiled but the only thing he is spoiled with is love and attention. He is polite, well manned, respectful and intelligent. I do wish I could have had another child but due to being a single parent and not meeting someone that I was interested in, he is all I have. I know parents that have more than 1 child and they are all spoiled brats who think they deserve everything without having to earn it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I was an only child & loved it. I had one friend down the road from me (still my BFF since age 3), and that was it. All other interaction was in school with people I didn't fit in with (except one other BFF). I got most of what I wanted, but I don't think I was "spoiled". I'm not snobby or anything like that -- I'm a very low-maintenance, what-ya-see-is-what-ya-get type person.

I have 4 kids. They are 11, 7, 6, & 2. We live in the same spot - out in the country with no other kids to play with. They play with each other, mostly. They have plenty of toys, game systems, bikes, ATVs, etc --- so they're not missing out on anything.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My dd is 21 mos.... we are waiting a couple more years before trying to have another one. She is VERY social! Almost TOO social! She shares everything with anyone and yes, I do think she is a little spoiled. But she doesn't get "jealous" when I hold a baby or am around and helping other kids. When kids do come over, my daughter shows them ALL of her toys and wants them to play with her! I know she is lonely! :( Just gotta wait for stability to come around a little bit before we TTC!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My dd is 14 months old, and she isn't spoiled, although as the only child, she gets lots of attention. I really don't want anymore kids, so she will have to deal with being an only child. I try to take her to the park frequently so she can start learning to interact with other kids. I'm also considering putting her in preschool for 2 days a week (3 hours per day), to have fun interactions with kiddies her own age.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2009