HOW OLD WERE YOUR KIDS WHEN YOU STARTED LETTING THEM BATHE AND WASH THEMSELVES!!

we have a 6yr old and we have been letting her bathe and wash herself now for about a yr but on and off we have to wash her because she gets lazy, so i was wondering to myself did we start letting her wash herself to early?? and if so what age did other moms start letting there kids wash themselves.

ArmyWife_MomX2

Asked by ArmyWife_MomX2 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My oldest has been doing it for almost a year now, since he was about 4 1/2.

We're working on teaching our second one to do it now, he's 3 1/2. (but no where good enough to do it alone yet! LOL)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I would say about 5 or 6 yrs old. I would still help when he was really dirty. LOL!! My son is 13 and I still have to remind him to wash certain areas.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• At 4 I started letting my kids wash themselves, but I would sit in the bathroom and watch them. If they forgot an area I would remind them. I also taught them to wash from the head down so they had a starting place and an ending place instead of a hit and miss type of wash - it was easier to remember where to wash next if they knew what they had already done. My daughter was 6 and my son was 7 before they went to totally doing it themselves.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My son was about 7 before I let him bathe himself alone, he was 16 before I could quit reminding him to wash his neck or behind his ears, lol. My daughter was about 7, she's 9 now and still calls me in from time to time. I taught mine to wash from their head to their feet, that way they have bubbles all over before they can rinse off and save the dirty feet for last!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 10:09 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• my son 7 has been bathing himself for almost a year, the last couple months weve been putting our other son who is almost 4 in with him, they love it!
    caffinequeen317

Answer by caffinequeen317 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009