Help, I'm being invaded by ants!

It has been raining a lot and the ants have invaded my home and I can't get rid of them. They are in my carpet and all over my kitchen counters, no matter how clean my house is they won't go away. I live in a condo so ant stakes are useless (don't have anywhere to put them) any suggestions would be great,they're driving me crazy. Oh and I've told my landlady that I need an exterminator but she takes forever to get anything done.

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We went through the exact same problem and we live in an apartment. Maintenance came and sprayed and it didn't help at all. He told my husband to buy some spray but with dogs and a toddler, I didn't want to spray. I bought some ant traps (like roach motels) at Target. I think 4 were about $4. They are little plastic things that you put in the infested areas at the baseboards. The ants go in and take the bait back to their homes and it is poisonous. The first day, the ants tripled which grossed me out. They send phermones to the others to come get the food. Anyway, by the third day, they were all gone. They haven't been back since. If they come back, which I'm sure will happen sometime, I'll use the same thing. They work great. They may be made by Raid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'll try it, I didn't know they made ant traps.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We have 4 cats so didn't wnat to spray either.
    But go to the drigstore and get pepermint oil. its a huge deterant. Mix with a little water in a sqirt bottle and spray around the house where is looks like they are getting in.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 7:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I use something called TORRO something like that. You can get it at Walgreen's. It always does the trick. I have tried concoctions and stuff but this thing will make them focus on that stuff and it keeps them out of the way and they die within a few days. I will never use anything else.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The peppermint mix is great. Also, bay leaves near the nooks and crannies. Bag up anything sweet and wash down all surfaces with bleach and water. I live in a mobile home and recently has an awful ant infestation thanks to our landlord bombing an empty mobile home near us. Due to growing up in Louisiana, I absolutely HATE HATE HATE ants. They terrify me. Down south, we couldn't get rid of them no matter how many times we tried.

Cayenne pepper, salt lines, bay leaves...so many natural remedies that you may already have in your kitchen. Oh, remember to do the dishes every night (even those in the dishwasher). Wipe up ALL WATER! Most bugs can live without food for over a week but they can't survive long without water! They hide in warm places. The refrigerator, corners of cabinets. Outlets.

I wish you luck. I am still working on ours. For now, we are free but I am not holding my breath.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Anon above is right, I also used ant traps, and I put moth balls under sinks and in the vacuum
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Thanks for all the great tips, those ants are going to die.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The ant traps worked for us; you can also use vinegar on all the window and door frames after the ants die. They can't "smell" their way through the vinegar. Plus, diluted vinegar makes a great wood floor cleaner:)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009