Do you use the cry it out method?

I let my son cry last night and went in there and rubbed his belly for a minute every 5 minutes and then went out again and he went to sleep on his own and stayed asleep longer. it seems great but i read somewhere that some people think that letting a baby cry alone in a room by themselves even just for 5 minutes is like a punishment for an innocent baby and shouldn't be done. i love to comfort my son and have him fall asleep in my arms but when he's 8 months old and still wakes up every 2 hours and needs to be rocked to sleep i am getting sick of getting no sleep myself! Is the cry it out method ok or is it punishment? Do you use it and how do you use it?

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I try to but my DD seems to be unable to but herself back to sleep, she only wakes up more. She does only wake up once though, and if I feed her a bottle without picking her up she will be back asleep as soon as she finishes the bottle.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I believe it shouldn't even be considered until a baby is at least six months old, and even then it should be used sparingly. I think if you've exhausted all other options it's a useful useful tool. If you're doing it because you're lazy and you don't want to even try and soothe your baby, I believe it's wrong.

I've used it with my 7.5 month old daughter a few times. She's starting to learn that if she wails and screams and whines after we put her down to sleep, we might just come back in and spend more time with her. She doesn't do it every night, but GAH it sucks when she does! She's only cried for more than 10 or 15 minutes a few times. Mostly she cries for five minutes max and then passes out.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I think it's your decision if CIO is right for you. You are trying to help your child create good sleep habits, so trying out new things is part of that. If it worked for you son and he wasn't crying all night and you were okay with it, then that's fine. I don't think the way you used it was a punishment. Maybe he just needed that opportunity to try to put himself back to sleep. I'm sure you would've felt different if he had been crying half the night, but since he wasn't then use that method as long as it works for both of you. My pediatrician recommended it at 4 months because my DD still nurses every 2-3 hours at night, and I tried it once for a nap after reading about the Ferber Method but I couldn't continue after 20 minutes of crying. I don't think she was ready and I wasn't after hearing her cry! Since then I've just tried other things. It didn't work for me, but it did for you. Enjoy the much needed sleep!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We have used a consistent bedtime routine (super duper important!!) since my son was 7 weeks. He has always fought sleep, and at 7 months, we started the CIO because I would have to go back in numerous times to rock him back to sleep at bedtime and he fought naps! However, he never cried more than 20 minutes at bedtime during the "sleep training." Also, give your baby 10 minutes before responding in the night! That was huge for us. Many 10-11 nights of sleep for our son. I recommend both the Ferber book and also Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Every baby is different, and I know lots of moms who have had success without CIO - there's a group on here for CIO Alternatives you can check out as well.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Oops - this is above poster - I mean 10-11 HOURS of sleep nights for our son!
    mevxoxo

• Whether it's OK is between you and the woman in your mirror. It's not acceptable for me....but I did TRY it.

Didn't work. And then the woman in my mirror kicked my butt.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• No. I've never used that method. I don't agree with it. I wouldn't be able to handle my daughter crying for me and just ignoring her. She doesn't have a "bedtime" per se. When she falls asleep, I bring her upstairs to her room.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• And OP, it's really tough to deal with the meanies who give people shit for their parenting decisions. Please try to not let them get to you. If you figure out how, let me know ;D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i don't agree with it personally
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 7:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• its your decision I would never do it with a child who is less than 6 months and your technique is perfect (comforting every 5 minutes) just watch them closely and if the situation doesnt improve in a couple days there is a deeper issue
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009