Teachers putting the TV on instead of teaching the children

Ok do other parents have this same problem? This is my son's second week of school and everyday i ask him what he did that day and every day it is the same. "We watched TV" and he will rattle off the names of the programs that they watched. I ask him if they did anything else and he told me they ate a snack or two and sometimes played with blocks but that was it mostly watched the TV. I at first thought it was exaggeration but i noticed my son said some names of programs that i do not let him watch. Today I asked a couple of other moms if their children come home and say they watched TV, all said yes but like me i thought it was exaggeration. I will be asking the teacher about this in the morning and so will some other mothers. What I would like to know is this normal for P.K. teachers to just sit the kids down and watch TV?

Saberlilly

Asked by Saberlilly at 7:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hmm. I never did the full 6 or 8 hour preschool (after care) but for those who did, I know occasionally they did watch TV but not for long. Are there alternative places to go?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Mine only had 2 1/2 hours so there was no time for TV.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My older two went to preschool 3 days a week for 2.5 hours a day (and my youngest starts preschool- same hours- next month) and they never watched tv at all. If it is longer or all day IDK what the norm is.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 8:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am a pre-K teacher, I have a degree in Early Childhood Education, and NO THEY SHOULD NOT be watching TV.

Our 2 year olds and 3 year olds have a movie day...Friday....and it lasts about 20 minutes....the 4's and 5 year old have no movie or tv time.

What you may have done it found a "preschool" that works more like a daycare.

Maybe you need to search around and find a preschool that operates more like a school on a younger level. There are huge differences in preschools....ranging from daycare all the way to military precision schools....lol...(exaggeration) lol

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I would buy them the book :
    Into the Mind of Babes - How screen time affects children age 1-5....
    and mail it to her Anon....
    I would also be at the school complaining. You can pay anyone to sit your child in front of a TV! But im sure your paying nicely for your child to be there. so they should be making the best of it!!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• No, not normal at all. I teach 4 yr old preschool and we do NOT use the tv, ever. Unless it is for an educational movie that goes with our theme of the week/month. Most preschools are only 3 hours long (the rest is after care). There is not enough time in that 3 hour time frame to teach the kids all that they need to know for Kindergarten and watch a movie. Personally, I would find a new program for your child. Watching movies is not getting a quality preschool education.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am in Oklahoma and the class he is in is a school. His class is from 8:00am to 2:30pm Mon-fri it’s our town way of getting the children used to school. So it is like a real class and the only other option is to change school districts. I really do think that the school day is too long for the four year olds I may how ever try to move him into the other PK that the school has. On another note this is the teachers first year I do thank everyone for writing and I think I should be talking to the principal on the matter, and a show he watched today was ed edd and eddy, he said it was a show with a lot of ed’s and they liked candy balls , I really don’t want my son watching that. He also mentioned that he watched a show with a big loud lady and she was mean to her kids. What that was I don’t know.
    Saberlilly

Answer by Saberlilly at 10:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• omg, I would be calling the principal, the board of education and every one in between on that. I don't allow my children to watch that garbage and I especially don't expect to hear that my child is watching that when he's in school. I would be livid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• That's not normal. I used to teach pre-k and the only TV we watched was for special occasions. We watched a Halloween movie(they loved Charlie Brown), we watched a Thanksgiving movie, a Christmas movie, and I had a 15 minute video we watched when it was someones birthday. It was of a bunch of cartoon animals singing happy birthday and having a little party(I don't remember what it was called but it's wicked cute). You should talk to the teacher and if it doesn't change find another daycare.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 12:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Oh I would definitely be talking to the principal. I don't even let my 7 yr old watch ed, edd and eddy!!
    MsKari77

Answer by MsKari77 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2009