Tearing Other Religions Down?

Would you listen to someone who wasted their time tearing another persons faith down?

I'm asking because I'm LDS and I live in Utah yet I still get Anti mormon crap all the time. I've always been curious as to why someone would waste their time putting it out but even more so why anyone would listen to somebody who is so filled with obvious hate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't understand it either. I don't have room in my heart for hate and darkness. I have too much love and light within me. It's a waste of time when people start getting "holier than thou" about their religion.
    I wish people could understand the concept of personal Truth. There is no universal "Truth" in regards to beliefs. It's all very personal.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Simple answer.. I don't. My time and energy is not worth it. And most of the time when people try to create hatred they are just feeding on the chaotic energy. The more you give them the more they love it. If you ignore these types of people then they move on to someone else.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• better question: why would anyone listen to someone tear down her own religion/its followers? do they really think they will sway someone from the outside to come in?? NO.

to answer your question: i'm sure its out of fear of the unknown, with a little superiority-complex thrown in the mix.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Actually, I don't. If it's not my faith, I still defend it. And, yes, i have even defended the Christian faith a time or two. It's the holier the thou people who get my full assault, though, since they generally seem to think ALL religions besides their own are wrong.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• ugg that has to suck! ive never understood how things like that are suppose to work? who would read something like that & think "yeah! my religion's totally wrong!!"

i think those kinda ppl are one of two things (or both). one, they are ignorant & fearful and/or two, they think tearing other's down someone raises them up (like the same reasons bullies pick on ppl).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I find it difficult to defend christian-related religious beliefs. As an atheist, it's not my job to defend--it's my job to fight against. But only if they attack first. And certainly if you are LDS and make no attacks on anyone elses beliefs, they have no business attacking yours.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Religious competition. When you put a rival in a bad light, their growth decreases allowing your group a better chance to grow. Simple economics and politics.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

That's just it, though. There's only one that's trying to win the shiny ten speed by recruiting the most new members. It's like having the annoying macho frat guy in the room who wants to turn everything into a bet while everyone else is just trying to kick back and relax.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If you have a firm foundation in what you believe , you have no reason to attack, it is only those who have no confidence in their belief that do this. There is a big difference in having a debate vs an all out attack. And there will always be those with the child like mentality of "well they started it."
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 21, 2009