Tips on weaning (PLEASE NO BASHING)

Due to a new job, change in schedule, and my daughter's ever increasing number of teeth I need to start weaning her off of "the boob". She's one, and gets most of her nutrion from other food, I think nursing is more of a comfort thing now. My worry is that she nurses before bed EVERY night, and my husband will now be the one putting her to bed 3-4 nights a week. I have about 2 weeks until the new schedule takes effect. Thanks!

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 8:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• WTG on making it to a year. So few women do. You do not have to completely wean just because you are returning to work though. Just keep that in mind. As for weaning at night I would suggest you completely leave the house and let DH take over the bedtime routine for a couple days. Have him hold her close like you would nursing and snuggle with her and if she wants give a sippy with water (anything else could rot her teeth while she sleeps). Have a whole routine working up to that of brushing teeth etc. He could read stories or whatever, but the nighttime feedings are not usually about food, but more for comfort and he needs to replace that. It may be difficult for him to do if you are still there because she will likely get very upset about not nursing. If you are not available she will likely accept it more readily from him
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:24 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Aaaa! Nighttime was the very last thing I weaned my kids from. I think that is the hardest one! Will she take a bottle? If you get her off all but the night, maybe you can pump for her night feeding. My supply dropped whenever I pumped, so your hubby could give her regular milk if she wanted more. Eventually she would get used to that and you could stop the pumping.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• GOOD JOB ON BF FOR ONE YEAR!! WAY TO GO MAMA. DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT WEANING, BUT I KNOW REPLACING A FEEDING WITH SOMETHIBNG ELSE MIGHT WORK
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Time to start a new routine. Wear normal bras so that access is not easy. She will probably cry the first couple of nights. Allow dad to give her a cup of milk if she wants a drink or maybe read her a bedtime book. Explain that it's "all gone" and offer a replacement drink in a cup. Do not give in and if you get too full express milk in the shower. Just enough to relieve the pressure. You're body will adjust and stop producing. Start now and there should be no worries later.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Replace those night feedings with a nutritious snack.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i didnt bf for long but one of my close friends did and she just went through the same thing. when she started pumping for night feedings while she was working her husband would mix breast milk and reg. milk together because her son wouldnt take just plain milk. i dont know if thats one of the problems your LO has but she would gradually add more reg milk and less breast milk til he wold take just reg. milk. he was fussier then normal but now he is totally off the boob and happy as can be.
    from my personal experience it cant be much different then breaking the bottle and i just took that away the night before his first birthday and he didnt even care at all.
    good luck to ya momma!!!!
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• "WTG on making it to a year. So few women do. You do not have to completely wean just because you are returning to work though. Just keep that in mind. As for weaning at night I would suggest you completely leave the house and let DH take over the bedtime routine for a couple days. Have him hold her close like you would nursing and snuggle with her and if she wants give a sippy with water (anything else could rot her teeth while she sleeps). Have a whole routine working up to that of brushing teeth etc. He could read stories or whatever, but the nighttime feedings are not usually about food, but more for comfort and he needs to replace that. It may be difficult for him to do if you are still there because she will likely get very upset about not nursing. If you are not available she will likely accept it more readily from him"
    ----
    She took the words right out of my mouth!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2009