Did your doctor say she wasnt sure if stripping your membrains would do anything for you?

So, Today I got my membrains stripped- The doctor wasnt sure if it would work or not, but didn't tell me why she wasnt sure if it would work...Has anyone elses doctor been not so optamistic about weather or not the procedure would work, and it turned out it did?
It didn't hurt in the slightest- she said he is big, so she set up an induction date of Aug 31st just in case....
I SO badly wanted to go natual..now everything kind of seems hopeless.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• every time your membranes get stripped its a "it may or may not work" method. because it sometimes works sometimes it doesnt. i got mine stripped and i cramped for a whlie but it did nothing more and i got induced.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• well with my first, my doctor stripped my membranes and then told me to have lots of sex, because they sperm would eat at or try to dig into the exposed sag and make tiny holes that will help you water break. Well it worked and I had only had sex once! a couple hours after I went to the bathroom and noticed I was leaking some pink wet stuff. Went in and they did they test to see if my water had broken and sure enough it had! So I say HAVE LOTS OF SEX!!!!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If your body is not on the brink of going into labor on its own, stripping won't work. It just cause pain, irritation, bleeding, and ineffective cramps.

You CAN refuse the induction. There is NO sure fire way to tell how big a baby is and you can go to WHO and even the AMA who state specifically that "supsected" big baby is NOT a reason to induce. Besides the definition of big is subjective. You can go to another person and they'll say all is normal.

Unless you have diabetes there shouldn't be a worry about true macrosomia.

If you do decide to get induced anyway, I urge you to make sure that your doctor uses the Bishop score to be SURE you are ripe for induction or it has a high failure rate and a cascade of intervention. Also avoid using cytotec as a ripening agent, it is a dangerous drug not approved by the FDA and can cause uterine rupture (says so on the label).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Talk to some more women on cafemom. They'll tell you point blank that they were induced for "suspected big baby" and ended up with babies 6 or 7 pounds and they were NOT pleased.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Do not have an induction, and you will most likely have a natural birth. Induction for suspected big baby is a load of crap anyway. Your bones and ligaments are made to move during birth. DO NOT lay on your back, it compresses your tailbone. Other positions such as squatting, standing, or on all fours, are much more effective and actually work with gravity.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:26 AM on Aug. 21, 2009