Have you ever said something to the person giving you dirty looks in a restaurant when your kids weren't even doing anything

It seems like anytime we eat out there is some older couple who feel the need to either glare at us the whole meal or loudly comment on our children negatively. I must explain we never eat anywhere but family places and I have a 4 yr old who likes to chat and a one yr old who has discovered he can talk. I also must say we are also a biracial family so maybe that has something to do with it. I just want so badly to tell them off and I wonder if anyone has.

Faysmom

Asked by Faysmom at 8:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• lol well my son is only 4 months so hes pretty quiet right now he usually sleeps when we are out. but if i overheard people talking or give me a look i wouldn't have a problem going over and saying something, i am a very strong opinionated person and im not scared to say something to someone lol
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• oh and seriously i would say if you want to go somewhere with no kids go to a BAR!!
    ilovenoah26

• My son is the same way.. He is 4 so naturally curious so he asks about everything and typically is talking the whole time when he isn't eating. Mind you I make sure he uses inside voices and never yells and rarely acts up when we're eating but of course it never fails there is atleast one person or group of people who feel the need to be nosey and either comment or just stare. Its like seriously, want me to do something to make your starring worth it?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Thank You thats what I think my husband thinks we should ignore it but they make it were I can't I can feel them stareing at us
    Faysmom

Answer by Faysmom at 8:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have a child with special needs, so I've developed thicker skin when it comes to rude comments and stares! Last night we were at our favorite family restaurant and a girl kept staring at my 2 year old! He was a little vocal (he didn't want to sit in a high chair! lol but he wouldn't stay in his seat!!) But he was giggling soon and she STILL kept staring!  I'm used to people looking at my older son at times when he's stimming! But your husband is right: just ignore them. There is no need to stoop to their level!!  . And older couples forget what it's like to have small children, and in their day children didn't go to restaurants like they do now! Just ignore them!!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• IF your kids are being normal kids, I would say the rudeness is from you having a biracial family. I could care less what makeup a family is, I do have issues with loud or naughty kids. I taught my son, from a young age, how to act in a resturant and he has rarely acted up. He knows to use an inside voice, use his manners, etc. I have the opposite happen, people compliment me on how well my son behaved. He is by no means perfect, but he does know how to act and I don't tolerate misbehavior in him in public. I still say it is because of your biracial family, some older people are just set in their ways and will never change.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I usually don't have to say anything my husband will say something before I even know what's going on...lol
    dcdmattison03

Answer by dcdmattison03 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2009