I am pregnant and have a cat that is very sick with a viral infection...he has diarrhea and is snezzing barely eating etc...just wondering if any cat illnesses could harm me or baby..I know I am not supposed to clean litter box...I don't as much as possible, but sometimes I am forced to as my BF travels some!

Dlptex

Asked by Dlptex at 8:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There are certain zoonotic diseases that can be passed from animals to humans and vice/versa. But I have three cats, and though I never cleaned their boxes while I was pregnant, I was still around them. My daughter is just fine, granted, none of them were sick when I was pregnant either. Take your cat to a vet and have him checked out; it doesn't really matter if you're pregnant or not, your cat is sick and needs to be seen by a vet.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You'll be fine. It goes without saying, pregnant or not, just wash your hands thoroughly. And it is OKAY to change the litter box. If your cat is an indoor cat toxoplasmosis problems are just about zero. If your cat is an outdoor cat remember that it takes at LEAST twenty four hours for the toxo organism to activate in the box, so if you clean it once or twice a day of all poop there isn't an issue. Again, just wash your hands well (and I have to add to avoid clay litter...bad for you bad for kitty bad for everyone)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• you should ask your doctor. while i was pregnant, i was going to get a kitten and i went to the pound, but the man working there told me that he really wouldnt reccommend it because there are so many diseases that cats can give to women and their baby while pregnant.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• toxoplasmosis is dangerous. do not change the box. put it outside or something when he is not home. keep sickly animals away. better safe than sorry.
    youngs_wifey05

Answer by youngs_wifey05 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i dont think there r very man zoonotic diseases u have to worry about with cats i know with dogs there r a few...as far as cleaning thelittler box i cleaned litter boxes with my dd and with this preg if u r already use to ur cats bateria and u dont bring in w new cat then u will be fine. my dd is healthy and happy and i worked in a lab where i was exsposed to uv light, fumigators, and zoonotic diseases
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2009