caffeen and BF

Hey i was just curious if anyone knew how much drinking cafinated drinks effects your breast milk? I love coffee but i haven't been drinking it since she was born, really in fear of the caffeen going thru me to her and her not being able to sleep and such. Sooo if anyone could help me out that would be great. Cause as im sure all of you know being a new mom is tiring at times and a nice cafinated drink/coffee would be AMAZING lol :) thanks!

ninawiseman87

Asked by ninawiseman87 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i drink tons of coca cola and it doesnt bother my little one,when she was just itty bitty she would get 3naps a day now she gets 2,she also sleeps all night with no problemnow if i drink milk,it makes both of us gassy for some reason.i gave up smoking cigs,but not the caffine
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• One or two cups won't hurt a thing, but don't overdo it... caffine has a reputation of giving little ones colick, stomach problems and sleep issues. Don't drink it within 10 hours of bedtime, because it can stay in your system that long.

Try finding a good decaf variety... not all of them taste like poop! lol
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• It all depends on baby. Some babies can tolerate it and others have trouble. Give it a go and see what happens just do a little at first.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I agree 100% with anon. My dd can handle me drinking 1 cup of DECAF and no more pre day. I have a friend who can drink quad fraps and her daughter still naps well.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• It depends on the child. My first had no problems with me drinking 2-3 mountain dews a day, but my second couldn't even handle regular tea. My first had issues with any dairy that I took in and when we introduced dairy to him he had issues too. My second had no issues with dairy. If you really want that cup of coffee then try it and see what happens on a day where it won't matter much if she doesn't sleep during her normal times.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:12 AM on Aug. 21, 2009