What do I do in this sitaution?

I am new at this whole my kid having a friend thing. I do not know the ettiquette about friends coming over. There is a little girl who is 4 that lives across the street. She has taking a liken to my 2 1/2 year old which is fine with me because my daughter loves playing with other kids. For the past three nights she shows up in my yard at 6:30 or 7pm (always in the same clothes) and she comes in a plays. I have no issues with this but she is a little over dramatic about my dog and kind of bossy but my daughter likes her, so whatever. The first two nights she stayed until almost 9pm before anyone inquired if she was here. Last night her dad said he was at 3 other houses before he figured out where she was, so he had no idea where is kid was a little weird. Tonight I tried to send her home because it was starting to rain and she said that she had to be home before it got dark. I watched her cross the street and go in th

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Continued... the house and she came back and said her sister told her to stay at my house until her parents come home. So WTF I am their babysitter now? I don't even know these people, what if she got hurt or something. I want to say something when or if someone comes to get her, but I don't want to be rude, what can I say to make them realize it is okay that their kid comes over but, I am not a babysitter, and if I need to send her home I want to know she will be taken care of a safe?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• um dont say anything to them. call CPS. i would call cps for sure if i was you. you have to help protect that little girl.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• How old is her sister? It sounds like both kids should not be with the parents.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 8:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i was just tell them how u feel cause in their mind they might thinks u is ok bout their child stayin of their all tha time i wouldnt call cps on them
    MzSamson01

Answer by MzSamson01 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I would go over there to see whats going on. A 4-year old should NOT be crossing the street by her self. Ask the girl questions about her family. Something is wrong there!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• OP- Okay her dad just called for her and her mom came over to get her, and started yelling at her for not telling her sister where she was. I told her mom that her sister knew she was here and sent her back after I sent her home. I also said I don't mind if she hangs out for a while but just let me know if they are leaving, in case we have to go somewhere or it is getting close to lily's bed time. I am still worried though, I am just going to keep asking her questions and keep an eye on them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• There is definitely something wrong with this picture. I would go over tonight and talk with the parents. Tell them that she's there every day until 9 (which is way too late for a 4 year old to be out-even in the summer) and that her sister told her she couldn't come home. (but kids exaggerate at times). If the parents don't do anything I would contact the officials! This really is unacceptable!!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My 4 year old doesn't even go outside by himself much less to another person's house that I don't even know.. WTH Are these people thinking?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'm with KalebsMommee. I can't imagine letting my 4 year old leave the house and go to the neighbors without me 1. Making sure it's okay with the other parents and 2. Walking her there myself and probably hanging out there WITH my child.

I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY I would let my 4 year old run around outside by herself.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2009