Has anyone else just about had it...with schools?

Ok, so my oldest is in the sixth grade, ya know the age when the teachers don't want you to breathe their air or talk to them. The age when they want to tell the child everything, the child listen, etc. Well, they sure don't listen to our children, do they? My dtr had knee surgery less than a month ago and her teacher told her to climb 2 flights of stairs, in a hurry no less casue the class was about to end and she needed some book. My dtr told her she just had surgery and was not supposed to do that, showed her the scars, did the teacher care? Nope.

So, has anyone just about had it?

I sent the pricipal an email and I sent the teacher a written note. I thought the only class I needed worry about was PE. I sent an email asking if she needed a note for everything, every class. This is ridiculus.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh my Goodness!! That is fliping RIDICULOUSE!!! I am so glad you emailed the principal she NEEDS to know!!! The schools today,honestly!! I remember one teacher from even 8 yrs ago when my now 14 yr niece was in 1st grade. She has ADHD and cateracts in her eyes and had struggled with math. She got very frustrated in class and started crying (remember she was only 6) and the teacher sent her out in the all for the rest of class!! And that is ILLEGAL!!! L:uckilly she told her mom when she got home and she called the principal who luckily liked Sarah and straightened that teacher out!! Gosh I have so many stories with both my kids and my niece. These schools clearly dont care who they hire!
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You need to inform the principal what the teacher did. Get a note from the doctor that your daughter cannot go up and down the stairs, the school should have an elevator that she can use. I would also talk to the teacher, her behavior is unacceptable. I have never had a problem with my sons MS teachers not wanting to talk to me or him, for that matter. YOU need to demand respect from that teacher. Keep in contact with her through email, etc.

It is actually NOT ridiculous, it is the PARENTS responsibility to inform all the teachers of a childs restrictions. A teacher cannot just go on a childs words, children do lie to get out of doing things they don't want to do. Teachers need proof and I would never expect my child to tell a teacher something and I would never ASSUME that all the teachers were informed of restrictions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Just like the rest of the population, odds are some teachers are going to be jerks. Just keep on communicating with the principal whenever you feel the need - and making a kid jog stairs after knee surgery is definitely valid. When my kids have had bad experiences with teachers I've explained to them that school is a job and you don't always get a boss you like at your job, but you still have to be respectful and get the job done.

Honestly, I'd had it with teachers/schools too. I've been fortunate that I've been able to keep my kids in parochial schools for 4 years now. Some teachers still stink, but at least they have smaller classes, fewer behavioral problems, and more parent support to keep them less stressed out. Plus, students and teachers pray together several times a day... I gotta think they're bonded better just because of that
    MichiMomma

Answer by MichiMomma at 9:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My tonsils swell in really cold weather. Well in 6th grade you would figure they would keep you in the gym on a cold day... but our teacher took us outside to run laps.. I tried to tell her my issue, I knew shed never gotten a letter from my mom but i was hopping she would understand..
    She still made me run which I did (i should have turned & went to the nurse-but i was taught to lisnen to teachers).... I missed almost a wk of school & my mom almost had to rush me to the hospital cause my throat was so swollen once i got home from school...

From my exp in school.. seeing my nephew graduate this year & all the problems hes had.. and a huge list of other reason I think about homeschooling constantly & wonder if its were we will end up & if its good for our family... (dd is almost 3)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Absolutely. If we didn't have to be a 2 income family I would home school in a heart beat!
    SteeleMommasita

Answer by SteeleMommasita at 11:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Loved the part about breathing their air or talking to them!!! And I am not all surprised by what happened. Our schools are in constant state of flux with teachers. We have had middle school teachers suddenly become pre k teachers, teachers who haven't been in a class room in years suddenly reassigned to one and be clueless about the kids or even the curriculum! I have tried very hard to tell my children to respect adults and authority but I can see where it becomes more and more difficult when the adults do not conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. I have heard teachers yell, "Shut the hell up!", "How many damn times do I have to tell you...?" I don't speak to my children this way but others are allowed to? This is one time you should give your daughter permission to tell the teacher no she cannot do something, not rudely just matter of factly.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:17 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• we will be homeschooling starting 2010 unless we find the money somewhere to send them to private school. The MS's here are terrible. This district is not very good.
    julie67

Answer by julie67 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Well, I do tend to think those working in the school system could use a little bit more compassion for childrens different needs. There's too much pigeon holeing going on these days where they want to put every kid in the same category. Something to do the botched "no child left behind" crap. Instead of being able to learn at their own paced they are rushed through...and then we wonder why kids aren't as smart these days.
    I feel bad for my cousin because she has celiac sprue (gluten intolerance) so if she eats pizza or sandwiches, she'll get sick. When she tried bringing her own food to school even the principal gave her crap about it and didn't think she should be eating anything different. He made some comment that " well, I ate peanut butter and jellly sandwiches when I was in school, so what's the problem?" What a friggen jerk!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Here is the other side to that, teachers here excuses all day long and students do take advantage of them. I personally know students who will make some excuse and then go roam the halls. Unfortunately, the teacher is still liable and responsible if something happens to that student. When it is a health issue: send an e-mail or written notes to each on of her teachers. Yes, it is a pain but this covers her and them. This is also the age where you can't tell the kids anything, many seem to think they know it all. It is a two way street. I have seen jaded teachers who were not as sensitive as they should be to students. Hang in there. The alternative is that you can send your child to a private school, move to a new district, or home school. Other wise you just have to be attentive as a parent and respond to each issue as the come up.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009