Who chooses where you deliver?

My insurance company is Kaiser Permanente, (anyone else through them?) but anyways, how will i know where i'm delivering? they said piedmont, but piedmont hospital has a pre registration thing and i would need a referral from a doctor...which ofcourse i guess i could get....

i'm so confused! i just can't wait for the time to come...i'm getting anxious.

baileyxo

Asked by baileyxo at 9:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Go where the ins co says, jump thru their hoops, esp if you want it paid for. Most places have a pre-reg process.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• well usually you deliver at the hospital your doctor is on call at pre registration is simple just fill out the papers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If your insurance company says they will only pay for the labor and delivery and such at Piedmont Hospital than you don't have much choice in the matter, unless of course something unprediactable happens. But go to the hosptial and get as much of the paper work needed done now, so theres notihng u have to do is give birth when the day comes!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 9:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Call the hospital and see how the do pre-registry. If you know for a fact that you'll deliver there, you can go ahead and do the paperwork anytime really, normally in the 3rd trimester is acceptable. At the hospital I went to (the OB/GYN was in the same building) they had me pre-register about 4 wks before my DD, but I wound up being induced 2 wks early. If you suddenly go into labor and you haven't done the paperwork, they'll bring it to you while you're in labor, even if you're screaming. Lol, I'm serious though. I was screaming bloody murder when I was in labor, and they were handing me papers left and right that they forgot to get me to sign.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I deliver where my doctor delivers. He's in my insurance network and therefore so is the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You, the mom, chooses. If you mean, which one will Kaiser pay for, that is up to them.

I have Kaiser, and they are a bit confusing when it comes to their doctor/delivery practices. If they said that they will only pay for certian hospital, that that is your cheapest option. If you have to pre-regester, I would suggest going in early and getting that all done.

We chose to pay for a homebirth out of pocket instead.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:12 AM on Aug. 21, 2009