What could be causing excessive night drooling?

This started several months ago (7 or 8) and my son is almost 12. It wakes him up at night and he hates it! He keeps Kleenex by his bed and sometimes has to get up and wash his hands or face if it gets all over him. The pediatrician is stumped. My son doesn't have allergies that I'm aware of and drooling is not a problem during the day. I tried giving him an antihistimine at night but that didn't seem to help. Any ideas?

1ColoradoGirl

Asked by 1ColoradoGirl at 9:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would guess that his nasal passages are becoming blocked. When I get a sinus infection or cold, I sleep with my mouth open, and drool. (sorry, not a pretty picture.) I wonder if he would benefit from a visit to an ENT specialist, maybe even one who specializes in children. I know you have given him antihistamine, but maybe he needs something different.

Answer by Bmat at 9:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Are his molars or wisdom teeth coming in? That could cause the drooling. Take him to a dentist and see if that is the problem.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Ive heard it is 1 sign of cavities..
    Im sure its nothing serious! :) But its always better to get it checked out.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Try eliminating dairy for a while...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• He could just be sleeping well. I drool horribly when I sleep well.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2009