This is more of a I'm kind of worried and need some nice words than a question.

I am 37 1/2 weeks. I woke up this morning with swelling in my feet and ankles more than usual. My hands are swollen too. Then later today I pushed on my ankle and it left an imprint that stayed for 30-45 seconds. Because of that I went to Walmart and used their BP machine and it said my BP was 148/79! I called my doctor and they said put my feet up, drink citrus juice, and call in the morning to make an appointment (it was after hours so I got the on call doctor). I'm worried that it is pre eclampsia. I had it with my first. I am worried that I have it again. With my first they didn't catch it until about 36 weeks because my body was dumping protien. My BP didn't go up until about 37 weeks. I don't know. Just not a good feeling.

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 9:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The bottom number (the one that said it was 79) is the important one. It's called the dyastolic pressure. Your systolic (the top number... yours was 148) is less important. Your systolic was a little high, but your diastolic pressure was still within normal limits. My advice is to start on the Brewer diet. I had high blood pressure starting at 27 weeks and the brewer diet kept me healthy (though on bedrest) and my baby inside me until 39 weeks, when I was induced because I was developing pre-eclampsia (which is classified as a blood pressure of at least 140/90 and protein in the urine). You need to start taking VERY good care of yourself, but you don't have a reason to panic yet.

Also, the machines are notoriously inaccurate. Get yourself a manual read cuff at Walgreens or some other store and learn to take it yourself. It's not hard, I promise :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I swelled like that when I was 9 months pregnant with my first in the heat of August. I swelled so much that my lips even looked like I had collagen injections. My blood pressure was only 127/69 though.

You can take vitamin B-6 to help with the swelling. Ask your doctor how many mg she recommends. Also, drink lots and lots of ice cold water and cut out salt from your diet (no eating out, no convenience foods...they are loaded with sodium).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2009