can u potty train ur child if they dnt talk??

2Jessica

Asked by 2Jessica at 9:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, I potty trained my dd easily and she has a speech delay....I was worried that she would be 5 before she would train, b/c I know how she is, and bam....before I know it, she trained...

Just keep at it....even though they have a speech delay, they hear what you are saying.

By the way, how old is this child, and are they enrolled in speech therapy...you know in most states its funded and FREE!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Yes you can! My son was potty trained (with a few accidents) when he was 18 months old. He didn't talk until after he was 2 years and now at 3 has just started taking himself. It was a little harder because I had to tell him to go - he would give me no signs. But he did hold it generally, until I took him. I am also potty training my 10 month old and she is getting really good at holding it! I am trying to teach her sign language for potty.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Talking is meaningless for potty-training; my daughter was talking at 7.5 months and speaking in complete sentences at 18 months. She was still in diapers on her 4th birthday, though she was tying her shoes and reading.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• yes, although if they have no language or very little by the age they are ready to train I would be concerned. Children are not biologically able to be trained before 24 months. What you get is parents anticipating when jr.needs to go and taking them.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2009