What is the solution to a problem that bankrupts over 1 mil American families a year?

Economists have found that rising health care costs correlate with significant drops in health insurance coverage, and national surveys also show that the primary reason people are uninsured is due to the high and escalating cost of health insurance coverage.8
A recent study found that 62 percent of all bankruptcies filed in 2007 were linked to medical expenses. Of those who filed for bankruptcy, nearly 80 percent had health insurance.9
According to another published article, about 1.5 million families lose their homes to foreclosure every year due to unaffordable medical costs.10

http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The average employer-sponsored premium for a family of four costs close to $13,000 a year, and the employee foots about 30 percent of this cost.4 Health insurance costs are the fastest growing expense for employers. Employer health insurance costs overtook profits in 2008, and the gap grows steadily.

5 Total health insurance costs for employers could reach nearly $850 billion by 2019. Individual and family spending will jump considerably from $326 billion in 2009 to $550 billion in 2019.

6 The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that job-based health insurance could increase 100 percent over the next decade.

7 Employer-based family insurance costs for a family of four will reach nearly $25,000 per year by 2018 absent health care reform.7

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Bankrupt the WHOLE country?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• So let's bankrupt the rest of the country.. hell, if everyone is bankrupt, it's only fair, right?! ;)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have been seriously considering filing bankruptcy and I am only 20 years old. I cant find a job and the ones I do find will leave me with barely enough to love let alone pay bills after I pay for child care.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• *live sorry
    LuvsDanika

• Why don't you ladies READ and we can have a debate about FACTS over SMEARS and talk about the REAL problems and not the lies from the right.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• "1.5 million families lose their homes to foreclosure every year due to unaffordable medical costs.10 "

Maybe a LARGE portion of them are living beyond their means in a house to large and expensive for their budget, therefore, making them not be able to afford the rest of their necessities.

My family is NOT rich, we have heathcare, and are just fine.....

What about the LIES from the Left? They have their share too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• What smears?? YOu asked...I see your "facts" and I say the same....is the solution then to bankrupt the ENTIRE COUNTRY? Not a smear...a point.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• 20 years ago, 85% of payments to health insurance companies went to medical care; now it is 60%. Our health care costs go up, our infant mortality rate goes up, there are millions of families like mine, who have been priced out of health care, and are one disease away from homelessness.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Yeah lets bring on big government control lets make the entire country dependent on the democrats ..because Lord knows there is just no other way ...sarcasm
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2009