What if a relative discourages me about potty training?

She tells me to put my daughter into pullups instead of underwear when we are out in public or @ family gatherings. She will be 3 her in October and I want her to be potty trained before she turns 3.

stayathomemom98

Asked by stayathomemom98 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• been there, done that. just assume/hope they're being well meaning and not wanting you to be "inconvenienced". I had the same 3 yr old goals with my kids. There will be an accident or two but they have to learn to use toilets in public and at families houses!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Sometimes family/friends are well meaning, but that doesn't mean you have to take their advice. You are the mom, you do it your way! From my experience those pull-ups slow down the whole process. I think your doing the right thing....just put her in the underwear and go for it! lol
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Personally, i did not use pull-ups because i thought it would be confusing. My oldest son had few accidents and learned to use the potty relatively fast. That was a relief for both of us. I think it should be a personal choice that is up to the parent. I guess i would just say thank you for the advice to your relative and do what you think you need to do to potty train your daughter.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• do what you want to do? you don't need her permission to potty train dd. she's only pushing for pullups cause dd is age wise still prone to accidents more just cause of her body's age. pullups are thicker than underpants to hold accidental leaks and total accidents.

my suggestion tell dd when she feels pee deep deep in her tummy a little bit it's time to use a toilet. I did my kids that way plus told her that if she feels a whole lot of pee then she'll loose play or shopping time cause we'd have to change her clothes. ask dd if she wants most time playing, shoping etc. or little time for that and most time spent washing up.

And too i told my dd if she feels poo deep down it's time to poo in toilet if she feel it ready to come out then free time turns into wash time.

both ways my dd wanted most time to be free and play, shop have fun instead of spent being cleaned and changing. I gave her a choice not made it for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If they discourage you from doing what you need to do and feel is right for your child then you should discouraging them from offering you advice.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I got my daughter potty trained right before her 3rd birthday also. The following month we want on a family trip for my brother's wedding. There were about 20 of us staying in a rented beach house with 4 bathrooms. Other than overnight and for the long drive there, I left my daughter in her panties. She didn't have one accident despite the numerous times I was running through the house with her in my arms trying to find a vacant potty.

Even though she wore a pull up for the 6 hour drive and overnight each of the 7 nights, she never wet a single one. I was so proud of her.

You need to do what you think is best for your daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You have to do what you think its best for your child. If you are comfortable with her in underwear, keep her in underwear. Honestly I hate pull ups. They did more harm then good and I think delayed my twins at night time potty training, and were not fully night time potty trained until I got rid of the pull ups.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'll take all this into consideration, Thank u everyone for ur help and advice. It's very appreciated.
    stayathomemom98

Answer by stayathomemom98 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I had this same question posted 2wks ago and got alot of conflicting advice. Just do as you feel. My DD will be 3 in Oct. as well and now she is fully trained. I expect accidents but haven't had any yet except for when she falls in the toilet (DH). She even wakes up dry after naps and in the morning. Just have patience.
    Se-Se

Answer by Se-Se at 11:03 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• my dd is 29 mts and she is pottytrain, but she does wears pull upwhen we are out. if we are a restaurant or a friends house. she will tell me she has to go potty and i take her.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2009