Dental question: Why do dentists refuse to pull a baby tooth that won't fall out when the adult one comes in, resulting in one tooth being behind the other one?

My daughter's teeth just didn't all come out when the adult teeth behind them came in. Some came out, some didn't. Her dentist didn't want to pull the stubborn baby teeth and in my opinion, it contributed to her need for braces. Is that the case? and why don't dentists pull the baby teeth out when the adult one is growing in behind?

callmeann

Asked by callmeann at 10:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Health

• They're not going to risk putting a child that small under anesthesia.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• depends on her age. my kids had adult teeth in later elementary school and had a teeth or two pulled between them to make room.

but the pulling is still a trauma for the mouth. usually docs will say when tooth is loose for kids to wiggle it lots to help it along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Um, my teeth never came out on their own. I had my adult teeth coming in, pushing on my baby teeth and they NEVER loosened. To this day, I hate the dentist, because every time I went as a kid I seemed to get teeth pulled. I remember one visit I had 6 baby teeth pulled! I would see a different dentist!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My little girl is 6 and she just had two baby teeth pulled at her ped dentist.The adult teeth were growing in and they said if they didnt pull the baby teeth the adult teeth would be crooked.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I had a mollar in that sitauation and I got mine pulled and my sister had one of the front teeth that was not going to come out unless it was pulled so the dentist also pulled that one.

Maybe its just ur dentist or some dentists, but me and my sister had different dentists, we're also very different in age, but they both did it.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• wow my kids teeth were almost always loose when adult teeth came in. obviously we were lucky that so few teeth had to be pulled for my three kids. i'm sorry for your babies mommas. Hope they all feel better soon!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have the same problem, maybe I should see a pediatric dentist.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My dentist had no qualms about pulling baby teeth that didn't come out. Both of my younger sons have had to have teeth pulled and no general anesthesia required. They just numbed the area with a local.

Maybe you need to find another dentist.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• OP, here. I was asking in retrospect from my daughter's situation, but the girl I sit for is 11 and she has some adult teeth with baby ones still in place. She can't have braces until the baby ones come out.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 11:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• When my dd was young she had two baby teeth pulled by the dentist because the adult teeth were starting to come in. It will make the teeth crooked if you don't get it out. They called it an overretained baby tooth.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009