Can I be charged?

I took my cat to the vet and she had worms. I assume they came from when a friend came to visit and brought her cat. Anyways, the vet called with the results and told me the meds would be $60. I thought that was kind of high and consulted another vet who told me the pills would only cost $10 at his clinic. He doesn't charge hardly anything over what he actually pays for them and is very well known around town. So I opted to go with him and got the meds to treat the cat for a lot less. My question is, since I told the other vet that I would come in to get the medication, could they still charge me for it even if I don't go? I have used my credit card there before but dont know if they stored the information.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pets

• I doubt it. I think it would be illegal to charge it to your card without your physical consent.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I would think not, I cant imagine the vet charging you for something you didnt come in and pick up. Im also pretty sure most reputable places dont store your credit card info. As long as you paid the vet for the worm check, you should be fine.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 10:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• nah, they'll ljust put the meds back in the container they originaly came from and sell them another time to someone. just call the first vet and tell them you can't get the meds from the first vet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Should I tell them the truth? That I found it cheaper? Or should I tell them something else?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• They cannot charge you without your consent. They need your signature unless you authorized the payment over the phone. They shouldn't charge your account anyway. Most likely, the only numbers they have on file still is the last four numbers of your card and they can't charge anything with only four numbers.
    Call them and tell them you found the medication at another clinic for cheaper. I'm sure they have heard that before if they charge so much.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Absol. not! I was a vet tech for years. They will prob call u and remind u that they're there. Or u can call them n tell them u don't want them. Usu. those places check their med cabinet once weekly and put stuff back that wasn't picked up. It happens a lot. It would be like Walgreens charging u for meds u never picked up, it just goes back on the shelf, no worries. Also sounds like that guy was tryin to ripe u off. Educate yourself on parasites animals don't have to get them from each other. It's according to what kind they were. Tapeworms for instance comes from your cat eating fleas.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 1:01 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If you don't buy it, you can't be charged for it. You don't have to tell him you found it cheaper somewhere else, but you can if it'll make you feel better.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• No they can't charge you but out of respect you should call them and let them know that you bought it else where so they can put it back into stock.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Just let them know that you got them cheaper somewhere else. I was able to get my cat's thryoid meds cheaper at the pharmacy than through the doctor. I told him that I could get them cheaper and he wrote me a prescription. No biggie. There's no reason to avoid telling them, it's no big deal, we all have to do what's best for our families. Shopping around for a better price is the smart thing to do.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i always tell people that i get stuff cheaper cause i think a lot of business like to take advantage and i like to let them know they lost my business for trying to pull a wool over my eyes.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2009