Should a 2 month old be eating baby food from a jar??????????

I know someone that is bragging that they are feeding their 2 month old baby food! I was always told that their digestive system was not ready for that ...not even rice cereal. What do you guys think???

weevil70

Asked by weevil70 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree. Too young
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I dont think a baby that young even knows how to roll food back to swallow. She is probably just making it up.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Your not supposed to do cereal until 4 months and food until 6. Although I started my son at about 5 with the docs ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• NO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I do agree 2 mos is young! I fed mine rice cereal at 3.5 mos and baby foods at 4 but not 2! I do agree with treynlisa, a baby that young still has that tongue reflux! My dd did at 3.5 mos for the most part... I don't think she is keeping anything in her mouth but maybe giving the baby a taste? I really don't know, but yes, I do feel that is too young!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• It is too young, but it is funny. I was talking to my mom about this. She started all of us kids on solids at 3 months and people thought she was crazy to wait SO long. Her sister had a son she was feeding meat to at 2 weeks!!! My cousin survived, so most likely it won't do any damage! I don't think it is best, but would leave her alone unless she asked your advice!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Micheledo--Does your cousin has an adult have any digestive issues? Crohn's, irritable bowel syndrome etc?????
    weevil70

Answer by weevil70 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Nope! Well at least not that I know of. I haven't really talked to him about his digestive system. Lol! My mom and I were talking about this subjext today! I was telling her about the people on cafemom who feed their babies solids at such a young age! Then she told me about us and my cousins. Maybe he will develop something in his later years. I know many 40 and 50 year olds with stuff like that. Now I will start asking them when they were started on solids!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Both my children started baby food and rice cereal at three months. But in moderation once a day to get used to it than two times at four months and three times at five months. Now for meats and finger foods i waited till they could sit up on their own about 7mo (which is the age of my baby girl) even with that i watch my baby like a hawk when she has finger foods. I have also talked to my pediatricians (yes i have two, one for each kid) about this and they gave they ok but with a warning. Only give my children a sample of the food first then wait to see if they have an allergic reaction. It has worked very well for me and my sister.
    Saberlilly

Answer by Saberlilly at 11:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Wow........what a way to choke your baby :(. Feeding a baby at such a young age baby food is not only unnecessary but unsafe. An infant at 2 months or even 3 months has NO NO NO idea of how to roll there tongue to swallow food or cereal. It basically just slides down there throat. We wont even go into the digestive problems. Ughhhhh.........
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009