8 years old and still throwing temper tantrums

I have a daughter who still has temper tantrums. She stop laying on the floor while doing them. Now, she jumps up and down and cries and whines. Anyone who has a daughter who does this too? It is OK for her to be doing this at her age? I ignore them and walk away like I used to do when she was 2.

rosesharon

Asked by rosesharon at 11:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hello. My Daughter is going to be 8 years old in Nov. She also acts like that! She lays on the floor kicking and screaming sometimes when she doesn't get her way. It can be annoying at times. I was starting to think that it's an attention thing. I have 3 other children as well. They're all younger then her. I am starting to spend so more one on one time with her. It's hard sometimes because I am so busy. Does your daughter have any brothers or sisters? Maybe it's an attention thing also. Maybe you can sit down with her and ask her why she acts that way. I am starting to talk to my daughter more often. I recently took her to her Pediatrician, they suggested some counseling. I think that may help. Now we are in the process of waiting for an available Appointment. Good Luck!
    bluesky27

Answer by bluesky27 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2008

• no, she is an only child. i have disabilities, so i cannot spend as much time with her as i would like too. we spend time together as much as we can but it is not easy, i have chronic pain.

rosesharon

Answer by rosesharon at 1:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2008

• Well, as much as ignoring her is a good thing.. I good old fashion swat on the butt would help too.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2008

• the first question is does sh eact that way only with you or does she do it with others as well. i know that when i was younger i behaved better for one parent than i did the other and my son does as well, he has made his step-moms life miserable with his behavior but his dad and i never have the same problems with him in any situation. my mother said those type of behaviores cure themselves on there own. just keep sticking to what you are doing and ignore here when sh ebehaves like that. i walk away from my son and leave him when he does do it with me and that is very rare. sooner or later she will change on her own when sh esees th ebehavior gets her nowhere and other kids begin to not want to have anything to do with her.
    rismommabear

Answer by rismommabear at 1:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2008

• What I do when my 6 year old does this is carry him into his room and let him throw the tantrum in his room. I let him know that kind of behavior is unacceptable, and he wont do it around me. It works great. Consistency is key!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 2:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2008

• She acts this way with everyone, her Father, my Mother, any adult. To answer rismommabear. I would say that they are more like small fits. She does not throw herself on the floor, she jumps up and down and cries. Maybe temper tamtrum is not quite the right word for it? Hard to explain. Sometimes when she is in the car and she asks for something ( can we go an buy a toy, for an example) she throws her back against the car booster and hits her head. That is something she has been doing since she was 2 years old. I also inore that too.

rosesharon

Answer by rosesharon at 12:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2008

• sorry i dont know about anyone else but when i was a kid and if i did that i got told that if i wanted a reason to throw a fit i would get one...basically i would get my butt busted if i didnt stop
    rebel_mommy88

Answer by rebel_mommy88 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2008

• Sounds like she can't control her behaviour. What types of problems do you have? I have a son with sensory disorders, and when he was younger he used to have fits. I learned to deal with him by Dropping "Drop your voice, Drop your tone, Drop your height, Drop your unreasonable expectations." Is your child hungry? Tired? Thirsty? There are some children who cannot process these sensations even at 8. The things you describe are not just temper tantrums and I suspect you know that. Sounds more like a sensory or behaviour disorder but you should seek advice from a doctor.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2008

• You stated: "she jumps up and down and cries.....! she throws her back against the car booster and hits her head." This is a sign of autism spectrum disorder! She may be high functioning, and have Aspergers! Please discuss her behaviors with her Pediatrician! Every child on the spectrum is different and can exhibit different behaviors... These tantrums, or fits, are classic.

My son has these behaviors he is now 10, they do not stop on their own. There are social interaction issues... ect. There is testing, there is therapy, there is help and support.
    bupkie

Answer by bupkie at 3:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2008