HELP!!! Anyone else have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and found a medicine or something that gave them relief???

I am having it super bad since A) I had my baby and B)I had my gallbladder removed. I am cramping, have gas, and diarrea. It is bad enough that it interferes with my job and just going out and doing things.. I can't leave the house if it is acting up b/c I have to be on the toilet... and at work, when it acts up, I end up running to the bathroom constantly for the hour or sometimes even more that it is acting up! (At least I can stay on the clock, lol). PLEASE HELP!

ALSO... Even if I don't eat dairy or green leafys I still have issues. Even when I don't have lots of fatty sweets or oils... its crazy!

I was on a med called hyoscamine, (or something), and right now i don't have insurance... but it didn't do much if the episode had already started!!!
Im MISERABLE!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Health

• Girl, I know just how you feel. It has been the same for me since I had my gallbladder out. Its like I have to plan my day around when I am going to have to go to the bathroom. There really isn't anything you can do, that I know of. Everyone I have talked to says its just the side effect of having your gallbladder out. My only advice is to try to eat something when you wake up so that it can all be taken care of before you leave the house. I usually only have the "hell hour" once a day so when its done, its done. Please let me know if you find anything else that works!!!

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You might want to check out other possible triggers for your issues, like gluten. Most reoccurring stomach/bowel issues are triggered by certain things passing through. So if you have discovered that it isn't dairy or leafy greens like I would just continue the search. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i was told by a doctor i had this then another doctor told me lazy doctors diagnose this & there is usually a deeper problem.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Just curious here..........my DH is having those same bathroom issues but still has his gall bladder. It's full of gall stones and he has a consult scheduled to discuss removal.

So - did you have the IBS type symptoms when you still had your gall bladder?
    Did they stay the same, get better or get worse AFTER your gall bladder removal?

And could you tell me about your surgery (if you don't mind) and recovery so I know what to expect?
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 11:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Q: Ever since gallbladder surgery, I've had looser bowel movements. I also have bowel movements more often now. Could removal of my gallbladder have caused digestive problems? A: Almost 1 in every 3 people have looser and more frequent bowel movements after gallbladder surgery. A few develop more troublesome diarrhea. Scientists think that gallbladder removal decreases the amount of time that food remains in the large intestine. The large intestine removes water from digested food and stores feces for elimination from the body. When digested food moves through the large intestine faster, diarrhea-like symptoms may occur. Often just avoiding certain foods can solve the problem. If not, check with your doctor to see if your digestive problems need treatment.

I found this on-line and thought it might explain it more.

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Thanks. I looked into the gluten thing and it seems possible.

When I was younger I had occasional IBS symptoms when I got stressed out. When I was really young I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant. But, about my junior year of HS until I had my gallbladder out that wasn't a problem. Now I know I can't eat eggs, milk products, fruit juice, or caffeine until LATE in the day. It is really frustrating. But then I realized that after eating a chicken sandwich from Mc Ds (even grilled no mayo or anything), or a lot of bread or something that it affects me. It's really weird...
    I can still take lactaid tablets with milk and be OK later in the day, but for months, and just recently, it is gotten much worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2009